Amp issue fixed - now space rocket and speaker chat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6688
    Yeah that's why the Apollos didn't sound as good as the valve Sputniks.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The Apollo spacecraft were all-solid-state, I’m pretty sure. I don’t know about any of the earlier ones, but I would guess the first Russian missions at least were valve.

Yes, solid state, as were the earlier Gemini systems. In this video David Jones of the EEV blog probes a circuit board from an Apollo Saturn V Launch Vehicle Digital Computer to see if any of the DTL 'chips' still work. Fascinating stuff.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    soma1975 said:
    Nah... a Saturn V launch still sounds better than anything ever. It also remains the tallest, heaviest and most powerful object ever to leave the surface of the Earth - one of mankind's greatest achievements.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nah the mids are a bit pushed on those. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    Put the WGS in. Sounds great. Paid £20 for it to be pre worn in for 24hrs and no idea whether it worked or not but it's very sweet in the top end. 

Really love the tone, especially with a Source Audio True Spring reverb. Now my only issue with the amp is it's a bit noisy even at living room volumes. A fair bit noisier than my 30w Marshall was. 

I think it might just need a bit of tidying up and rerouting of cables and an MOT etc inside so will hand it over to amp chappy when I next have a mo.  

• kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    edited May 2019
    Haha I love it that you changed the thread title to compensate for the mad tangent
    Im thinking to get the same speaker as you for my vibrochamp head. I run it through a 1x12 cab. Think it would be perfect.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12340
    What’s the difference in output between the original and new speakers?
    70w speaker in the old vs 20w speaker in the new. 98db efficiency vs 95db

No chance to really turn it up yet but at low volumes the new speaker definitely sounds a lot better. 

kreggs said:
    Haha I love it that you changed the thread title to compensate for the mad tangent
    Im thinking to get the same speaker as you for my vibrochamp head. I run it through a 1x12 cab. Think it would be perfect.
    lean business in the uk are out of stock but tube town in the Netherlands had a good price plus the worn in option and very fast delivery. 

soma1975 said:

70w ... 98db
    Celestion 70/80?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Celestion G12 V-Type. Now in the classifieds :)

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    ICBM said:
    soma1975 said:
    Nah... a Saturn V launch still sounds better than anything ever. It also remains the tallest, heaviest and most powerful object ever to leave the surface of the Earth - one of mankind's greatest achievements.

You may be right. But the last Concorde to New York had both Jeremy Clarkson and Piers Morgan aboard

edited May 2019
    EDIT: Deleted for being very mean and heartless. 

soma1975 said:
    Celestion G12 V-Type. Now in the classifieds :)
    Hmmm... a lot of people seem to like those, but I haven't been that impressed. Still better than a 70/80 though!

Yep I'm sure it's a lovely speaker but just not for this build. 

• john_rjohn_r Frets: 130
    I have a Weber 12a125a sitting around doing nothing, would be prepared to let it go if you are interested?
    Bah, I would totally have wanted that! Too late now as I've installed this new speaker and it sounds great.