Various advice needed

What's Hot

so it turns out my bargain basement bass is need to some surgery. It would seem the jack socket is not good, lots of bad noise or no noise depending on which position the jack plug is in. So, assuming I need to change it, where do you guys get replacement parts from? I haven't read any of these types of threads for years, so have no idea where to go.

Secondly, I will be needing a soldering iron, is there anything I should be looking out for or will anyone do?

Third, would it be worth changing the pots etc? Is there anyone out there who sells wiring kits?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Axesrus or Axetec will sort you out at a decent price, or North West guitar if they haven't exactly what you want.

Soldering irons, I just got one from Maplins and it is fine, but you'll get better advice on that score I'm sure :)

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27435

You might just need to re-solder it, might not need a new one at all.

Close up pic would help ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    that's a good point tt, I'll strip it down and have a look.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited August 2013
    solder pump would be useful for getting the old muck off the socket ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    edited August 2013

I usually just use an old t shirt.

oh, you mean for the bass...

ahem, added to the list, thanks.

• Is the jack one of the 'open' type (in other words the hot and ground contacts are the only parts that hold the plug in)? If it is and is connect by the kind of braided screened cable which Gibson use, it is possible if the socket rotates, for the braiding to lie across the jack plug in such a way that the 'hot' signal is run to ground. Bad design but happens frequently on my old 335.

May be a wrong diagnosis on my part but worth a look...
    hmmmm, that could be the case, in that rotating the jack fixes or makes worse the problem. However, the jack also feels lose in the socket. Is there a fix?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    VimFuego said:
    hmmmm, that could be the case, in that rotating the jack fixes or makes worse the problem. However, the jack also feels lose in the socket. Is there a fix?
    What I do with my 335 is plug it into my amp and turn the plug (which turns the socket, assuming its worked loose) until it works. I then tighten the nut using an adjustable spanner, checking that it still works when done. Love your user name by the way. Could you play 'Stairway' at a younger age than Jimmy Page was when he wrote it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I've just had the control cover off and had a furtle around. From what I can see, the tang that touches the jack plug is not always in contact with it, mostly I guess cos of the amount of play in the socket (it's not very deep, so only a small amount of the jack is actually held). I shall try that trick of tightening it, see if that helps.

sadly no, but I once did work with led zepps accountant, tho long after he'd stopped working for them. Think I was 26 at the time.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    VimFuego;22728" said:
    I've just had the control cover off and had a furtle around. From what I can see, the tang that touches the jack plug is not always in contact with it, mostly I guess cos of the amount of play in the socket (it's not very deep, so only a small amount of the jack is actually held). I shall try that trick of tightening it, see if that helps.
    Are you saying the contact which touches the tip of the jack plug is not tight enough? If so, just bend it so it makes better contact. This and ensuring the screen isn't shorting it (and making sure it is properly tightened so it can't rotate) should cure it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

will do, thx.

• VimFuego;22751" said:
    will do, thx.
    You're welcome. Hope works!