Behringer CS-80 Clone

What's Hot

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Such a good idea. What do you reckon £800-1000?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited May 2019
    gusman2x said:
    Such a good idea. What do you reckon £800-1000?
    Maybe cheaper, they own a big factory complex over in China.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited May 2019
    Think of a number and double it. That would still be cheaper than buying and maintaining an original example.

Has anyone checked Superbooth for trade show demonstration videos?

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    The TR-808 clone is $299.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    TR808 is a fairly simple circuit in comparison to the behemoth that is the CS80.
    If this is under £1500 I will be very surprised.
    You pay that for a Matrixbrute though so a CS80 clone for £1500 would be great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6146
    octatonic said:
    TR808 is a fairly simple circuit in comparison to the behemoth that is the CS80.
    If this is under £1500 I will be very surprised.
    You pay that for a Matrixbrute though so a CS80 clone for £1500 would be great.
    Play "guess the price" from the initial price of the Deepmind 12 - approx £900 when launched. Now factor in that it's got at least 2x the analogue electronics and 5x the physical hardware controls and this is at least £2500.

But the market is smaller for more expensive synths, so perhaps £2999 at launch settling to £2500 if/when Mr B recoups his development costs.

We'll know more if/when the UB-Xa gets a price tag.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I can't see behringer coming to market in that price bracket. I reckon 1500 absolute tops
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Ah great, so now I have to save for the UB-Xa AND this. The ribbon controller looks a bit small, though.

I'm hoping the price will be a bit lower than whatever their first estimate will be - Uli's original price estimates for the VC-340 was $800-$1000 and it ended up £480 here, $600 in the US.

I hope it's a bit lighter than the original.
    I can't see behringer coming to market in that price bracket. I reckon 1500 absolute tops
    Well, remember the prices of the X32, and remember that this is by far the most legendary+wanted synth ever. I'd expect the UB-Xa (far simpler) to be £1500ish. And the BS80 will be judged entirely by whether it delivers the CS-80 tone. Nothing else. He can't skimp on the controls to cut costs, either.

FWIW, I'd rather Behringer let the designers loose on a from-scratch high-end synth, but he hasn't got the cojones for that.

3k seems to put it dangerously close to deckards dream. 
    I would have thought behringer can massively under cut that price
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3k seems to put it dangerously close to deckards dream. 
    I would have thought behringer can massively under cut that price
    $5000 not including a top-quality keyboard nor all the rest of the CS-80 gubbins. Black Corp concentrated on the internals and a cheap-as-possible control surface, refusing to do the costly development of a keyboard version.

Every would-be BS-80 buyer wants the CS-80's polyphonic aftertouch keyboard, which - as we all know - is part of the CS-80s expressive nature (see the #1 CS-80 player and composer). And so expensive to implement, that only a few synth manufacturers have ever bothered with it.

Let's see what the UB-Xa comes in at and extrapolate from that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I thought the Decker's dream was £3300?

I have to be honest I have no real experience of the cs-80 and I've never seen one, let alone played one. Doesn't it weigh 200 lbs and have a ludicrous used price?

I have seen people on gearslutz moaning about the build quality on the Decker's and the extra cost on the expansion module. Again I haven't used one to know either way

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    Deckards have gone up a bit. mine was £3600, but they're circa £3800 now. Not in the least bit unhappy with it, nor would I sell to buy the Behringer + inevitable profit - the Deckards sounds stunning. 
  • Faaaaarrk me!

UB-Xa and this will be awesome!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    the only Behringer I'm even vaguely interested in is the VC340. In truth, I really dislike the Behringer business model so I'd rather buy almost any serviceable alternative...I'm just struggling to find one and I'm not willing to pay vintage Roland prices. 
    the only Behringer I'm even vaguely interested in is the VC340. In truth, I really dislike the Behringer business model so I'd rather buy almost any serviceable alternative...I'm just struggling to find one and I'm not willing to pay vintage Roland prices. 
    So you'll be buying a model d then mate?
  • It doesn't quite feel 100%, I agree. But a lot of these companies have given up on these old circuits. Although, it's nice to see Yamaha paying attention to the CS-80 again, looking at that article. But Roland aren't doing anything about their older circuits except via digital representations. Gotta give it to Behringer for giving people what they want. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922