Danny Baker

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    I doubt he meant it as a race-based joke

However, he's an experienced professional broadcaster, with football-ground experience, so he should have thought a bit more carefully
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Oh fuck, I’m agreeing with Emp. 

Danny isn’t a racist.  I’m fairly sure of that.  Ignorant? Possibly. Thoughtless? Definitely.  Racist? Nah, not buying it. 
    We’ve all said stupid things when we’ve had a drink, and DB likes a drink most nights - and then spends an hour or two on Twitter.  Look at some the shite that people spout on here on Friday and Saturday nights... Alcohol and Social Media is a career ending combo... 

As as for the badly spoken comment?  Seriously? Because he has a regional accent? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Regardless of the intent, sacking him was entirely justified, especially given the total lack of a proper apology. Until I read the report on the BBC site I didn't know that he'd already been fired twice before for other misjudgements - it seems he doesn't learn, and nor does the BBC. Hopefully they will now, and not make the mistake of re-hiring him again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24298
    @Heartfeltdawn I didn’t say most people here, I said “there are far too many people”.  It’s not delusional to come to hold that opinion when the evidence is here; multiple comments about how the poster dislikes him, focussing on ad-hominems and criticism of his radio show.  That’s not delusional - that’s fact!

As for those saying there is no way he didn’t know what he was doing, what is your answer to the question “Why did he do it then?”.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    RobDavies said:
    Oh fuck, I’m agreeing with Emp. 

Danny isn’t a racist.  I’m fairly sure of that.  Ignorant? Possibly. Thoughtless? Definitely.  Racist? Nah, not buying it. 
    We’ve all said stupid things when we’ve had a drink, and DB likes a drink most nights - and then spends an hour or two on Twitter.  Look at some the shite that people spout on here on Friday and Saturday nights... Alcohol and Social Media is a career ending combo... 

As as for the badly spoken comment?  Seriously? Because he has a regional accent? 
    I don’t think the question is whether he’s a racist or not.

The question is whether in making the joke it really didn’t occur to him that it could be taken as racist or not.

Given that many who listen to him are football fans, and let’s face it, football has been dogged by racism for years to a greater extent than many other sports, it’s only right that his position as a public broadcaster is taken away from him if he can’t either a) recognise that what he did was very poorly judged or b) knew it could be misconstrued but said it anyway. 

As as others have pointed out - regardless of the above, his response to the decision just highlights his total lack of judgement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WiresDreamDisastersWiresDreamDisasters Frets: 16664
    edited May 2019
    Emp_Fab said:

As for those saying there is no way he didn’t know what he was doing, what is your answer to the question “Why did he do it then?”.
    Because he's a racist. He collects Golliwog dolls and has the Kia-Ora advert as his ringtone.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:
    @Heartfeltdawn I didn’t say most people here, I said “there are far too many people”.  It’s not delusional to come to hold that opinion when the evidence is here; multiple comments about how the poster dislikes him, focussing on ad-hominems and criticism of his radio show.  That’s not delusional - that’s fact!

Total lack of judgement, and going on past history a desire to prioritise his own mouthpiece rather than actually considering the implications of the things he says.

Why do I think this? The nature of his response to it all - which is just yet more self serving self prioritising rhetoric
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    edited May 2019
    Emp_Fab said:

What's the definition of 'far too many people' then? What is this boundary where it goes from acceptable to far too many? 

There are people who say they dislike him. No question. But these people aren't most people here as you say above. It's a small percentage. The majority here seem to favour that he's not a flat-out racist but is guilty of being utterly dense. 

"As for those saying there is no way he didn’t know what he was doing, what is your answer to the question “Why did he do it then?”."

As I haven't claimed that, I can't speak for other people.

As I've said multiple times, I find it incredible that a guy with a long history of working for the main state broadcaster on screen and on radio, someone who follows football passionately and who surely can't be unaware of racial issues within the game historically and in recent times, decides to put up a tweet featuring a chimp that represents a mixed-race child born as part of the most famous British family in the world. 

But tweet he did even when he says afterwards that he didn't even know who had given birth: 

"I didn't know which of our royal princesses had given birth. Otherwise you'd got to be thinking I'd been secretly waiting to make this grotesque joke. There's no truth to it. I've been doing a thing on the radio for years of famous people dressed as monkeys with fairground music. My go-to photo when any posh people have a baby is this absurd chimpanzee in a top hat leaving the hospital. Had it not been Meghan - perfectly good joke. I was trying to make a point about class and it's just preposterous."   

Whether these words are him admitting that he's spent the last six months inside a cave hibernating are unclear. To have been oblivious to the Royal maternity and birth requires a quite considerable effort really to avoid print and television media. Even ignoring that period of time, to have managed to miss everything on the telly and the inkies and online since the kid was born a few days earlier and to be unaware of whom had actually given birth is quite an achievement. It leaves me waiting for future tweets in which Baker expresses shock at the Beatles splitting up. 

His point about class: wooo. So I take from this that posh people having a baby becomes a circus in Baker's mind. The media fawn over them and their lives and perhaps Baker feels this is vastly overblown and daft, that these people are uninteresting and the attention isn't warranted. But then I think of Baker as a writer. This is a guy who's written three volumes of autobiographical material and who managed to get a sitcom on BBC2 produced about his life. That would suggest he thinks his life has been interesting enough for the general public to be interested in. The class element of his gag seems very shallow. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Emp_Fab said:

What's the definition of 'far too many people' then? What is this boundary where it goes from acceptable to far too many? 

There are people who say they dislike him. No question. But these people aren't most people here as you say above. It's a small percentage. The majority here seem to favour that he's not a flat-out racist but is guilty of being utterly dense. 

"As for those saying there is no way he didn’t know what he was doing, what is your answer to the question “Why did he do it then?”."

As I haven't claimed that, I can't speak for other people.

As I've said multiple times, I find it incredible that a guy with a long history of working for the main state broadcaster on screen and on radio, someone who follows football passionately and who surely can't be unaware of racial issues within the game historically and in recent times, decides to put up a tweet featuring a chimp that represents a mixed-race child born as part of the most famous British family in the world. 

But tweet he did even when he says afterwards that he didn't even know who had given birth: 

"I didn't know which of our royal princesses had given birth. Otherwise you'd got to be thinking I'd been secretly waiting to make this grotesque joke. There's no truth to it. I've been doing a thing on the radio for years of famous people dressed as monkeys with fairground music. My go-to photo when any posh people have a baby is this absurd chimpanzee in a top hat leaving the hospital. Had it not been Meghan - perfectly good joke. I was trying to make a point about class and it's just preposterous."   

Whether these words are him admitting that he's spent the last six months inside a cave hibernating are unclear. To have been oblivious to the Royal maternity and birth requires a quite considerable effort really to avoid print and television media. Even ignoring that period of time, to have managed to miss everything on the telly and the inkies since the kid was born a few days earlier and to be unaware of whom had actually given birth is quite an achievement. It leaves me waiting for future tweets in which Baker expresses shock at the Beatles splitting up. 

His point about class: wooo. So I take from this that posh people having a baby becomes a circus in Baker's mind. The media fawn over them and their lives and perhaps Baker feels this is vastly overblown and daft, that these people are uninteresting and the attention isn't warranted. But then I think of Baker as a writer. This is a guy who's written three volumes of autobiographical material and who managed to get a sitcom on BBC2 produced about his life. That would suggest he thinks his life has been interesting enough for the general public to be interested in. The class element of his gag seems very shallow. 

What was the sitcom?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    He’s an intelligent guy, but even bright people make mistakes and he does have form for doing stupid stuff. Personally I don’t think he’s a racist but (IMO) he IS incredibly arrogant; he was probably thinking about how witty his tweet was and slapping himself on the back for being so out there and edgy, without really considering the consequences.
    boogieman said:
    He’s an intelligent guy, but even bright people make mistakes and he does have form for doing stupid stuff. Personally I don’t think he’s a racist but (IMO) he IS incredibly arrogant; he was probably thinking about how witty his tweet was and slapping himself on the back for being so out there and edgy, without really considering the consequences.
    Given his background, the types of shows he does, the writing he has done and who he has worked with, I just don’t buy the whole “I was being so witty and clever and I just didn’t consider the racial angle to this”
    boogieman said:
    Given his background, the types of shows he does, the writing he has done and who he has worked with, I just don’t buy the whole “I was being so witty and clever and I just didn’t consider the racial angle to this”
    Do you think he was being intentionally racist and thought that he would get away with it?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    There is a Squeeze song of the same name,IIRC, was that the theme tune? 

I remember trailers for this and I think the presence of Peter Kaye probably put me off. Probably a lovely man but I do not find him at all appealing as an entertainer. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    tony99 said:
    boogieman said:
    Do you think he was being intentionally racist and thought that he would get away with it?
    No, I don’t actually.

Of course I don’t actually know what he was thinking, but my take on it is he meant it as a “performing monkey” joke - knowing full well it would have racial overtones (or at least that someone might have called him on it) and in his smug arrogance he would just rebuff by saying “you’re stupid to think that, I’m smarter than you as it was actually a joke about class and privilege”.

Once called out, he tried the line but it didn’t wash
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    I honestly don't think he's racist, but if I'd said something publicly which was meant as a performing monkey jibe and then realised I'd said it about someone who was mixed race I would've been horrified and deeply, deeply embarrassed and could not have apologised enough. 

Not Baker though, he's too smug, too important and too self-centred. So saying that him being a smirking, loathsome prick shouldn't be relevant to whether is fired or not, well I'm sorry, it IS relevant when it prevents a meaningful apology. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    I honestly don't think he's racist, but if I'd said something publicly which was meant as a performing monkey jibe and then realised I'd said it about someone who was mixed race I would've been horrified and deeply, deeply embarrassed and could not have apologised enough. 

Not Baker though, he's too smug, too important and too self-centred. So saying that him being a smirking, loathsome prick shouldn't be relevant to whether is fired or not, well I'm sorry, it IS relevant when it prevents a meaningful apology. 
    Totally agree. My thoughts are only based on what I’ve read of his response - far too smug 
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    i rather believe he threw himself under a bus, the pillock
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7778

He's offered up a new, more fulsome apology:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48226247

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    i rather believe he threw himself under a bus, the pillock
    Not literally though.