Jettenuator - thoughts?

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169
(I didn't want to necro one of the old threads so here's a fresh one.)

My new and bargainous Marshall 20w head is sounding great cranked but, you know, I do feel sorry for the neighbours. ;-)

So someone suggested using a Jettenuator. Any downsides to this apart from the default -3db loss of and some loss of top end? Will it ruin my amp? Will it cause problems? Will it save us from Brexit?

I know that there are better attenuators out there but I just want something cheap(er) and cheerful just to try out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
    They work fine, but you're right about the slight loss of top end and the frankly annoying 3db drop. 

It's fine at home but 3db means I can't gig it with a 20w head - it doesn't just take the edge off the volume, it halves it. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169
    It would only be for home use so the -3db is OK, pretty sure I could compensate for top end loss with the Marshall's presence and tilt controls.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
    Philtre said:
    It would only be for home use so the -3db is OK, pretty sure I could compensate for top end loss with the Marshall's presence and tilt controls.
    You'll be fine then, and the top end less isn't that pronounced with most amps anyway. I've used the speaker sim out for recording which sounds really quite good, and an attenuator is a just useful tool to have around. 

It's nice being able to run amps flat out at home for as long as I like after doing any work on them, rather than just taking them to the next gig and hoping for the best. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @p90fool Thanks for the info, sounds promising.

I guess the next question is whether anyone is selling one?
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    I had one for a while to tame my LA30BL. Worked well, as in it didn't affect the tone too much at gigging levels, but the 3db drop was a pain for me. For some gigs it made my amp too quiet to use with it, and too loud without it...

On the plus side though it worked quite well even when heavily attenuated, yes the tone changed but it wasn't terrible. For what it costs its worth the money. 
    I only stopped using it when i got a Fryette Powerstation, which for me is more usefull as i can use it to tame a loud amp (with no 3db cut!), make a small amp louder and run my HX stomp through it. Plus it gives me an effect loop. 

But i digress.... Yes the Jettenuator will work well for what you want it for :)
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Philtre said:

I've got one that I actually forgot to post in this week's clearout thread. Where are you based?
    newi123 said:
    Philtre said:

I've got one that I actually forgot to post in this week's clearout thread. Where are you based?
    North Wales.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Not close to me then - was going to suggest you borrow it! 

Drop me a PM if you're interested in buying.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    p90fool said:
    They work fine, but you're right about the slight loss of top end and the frankly annoying 3db drop. 

It's fine at home but 3db means I can't gig it with a 20w head - it doesn't just take the edge off the volume, it halves it. 
    Almost all attenuators have a 'first step' of (at least) 3dB. But if it sounds like halving the volume, it's a lot more than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17564
    tFB Trader
    The problem is unlike some it doesn't have a bypass switch.
    paulnb57 said:
    @philtre I have a Bugera version, brand new in its box unused and unloved, yours if you want it.....

Hi @paulnb57 - thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. But @newi123 made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Thanks, guys. :-)
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    jettenuator is not bad at all, especially considering the price point. Increasing the presence to max compensates fairly well the loss of top ends