Has anyone climbed Ben Nevis?

What's Hot
SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
I'm currently on holiday in Fort William and ready to travel to the Isle of Skye, but am I missing anything by not climbing up Ben Nevis? I have already seen the waterfalls. Are the views incredible or is it just a very long walk with bragging rights, when I could be sipping Talisker?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No but I've climbed Brenda Neville.

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Schnozz said:
    I'm currently on holiday in Fort William and ready to travel to the Isle of Skye, but am I missing anything by not climbing up Ben Nevis? I have already seen the waterfalls. Are the views incredible or is it just a very long walk with bragging rights, when I could be sipping Talisker?
    I've done it and nobody could pay me enough to bother doing it again. Dreary miserable winding path which eventually gives way to an even drearier, windier path of shale covered in foggy cloud. Everybody at the top just looked thoroughly pissed off about having to do it all again on the way back down
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Me and my eldest lad did Snowdon last year, and this summer we’re going to Scotland on holiday and he’s adamant that we’ll try Ben Nevis as well. So I’ll be interested in first hand experiences as well. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    edited May 2019
    ^^^ This. I gave up out of boredom. Regretted going, didn’t regret giving up. And it was wet as anything.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    I'm up it right now!!

The views are nice yes. Wi-fi is intermittent.

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    I've done scafell pike and the best bit about it was the drive there and the pint after. The views were nice until halfway up. Just long treading and then through some snow. The waterfalls were great however.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    been an age since we did it, I don't recall it being the best peak I've done. Though oddly enough, i happen to think scafell pike is one if the better popular peaks I've done. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It may be the highest point above sea level in the UK, but really it's just a big and not very exciting hill. I found it a long and tiring walk, but not much of a challenge. The views are nice on a nice day, but then they are from any big hill really.

There are many others which although not physically as high, are far more rewarding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I very much enjoyed Snowdon, easy walk and a cafe with toilets at the top. Scafell Pike was very enjoyable as well, no toilets but a much more pleasant walk than Ben Nevis. Hated Ben Nevis with a fervent passion
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I’ve done it a couple of times. It’s a bit of a slog going up the normal route. If you get good weather then the views from the summit can be amazing. 

If the summit is in cloud then it can feel like a waste of time and effort and with the steep north face only a few meters away it can be dangerous too. 

I’ve not done it, but the Carn Mor Dearg arête is an option for fit, experienced walkers who aren’t afraid of some scrambling.  That’s the route I intend to take in October (weather permitting) when I’m in the area. 

Sounds like you’ve already seen the Steall falls and Nevis gorge which is definitely worth (relatively) short walk. 

You could just pack up for Skye and have an extra day there instead, the scenery is stunning. 
  • KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Depends on your mountain craft skills, Ben Nevis via the CMD Arrette is fantastic, the descent via the ‘tourist path’ less so. Don’t underestimate the changeable conditions and watch the forecast for any walk on the Scottish mountains
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I walked up it with a group when i was in my 20s.  Ran most of the way down and bathed in the river atthe bottom.  Ate the nicest biggest roast dinner after that.  Great challenge and memory, can;t remember anything about the views.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16254
    I’ve gone up it in the gondola thing. 

As as I remember it Nevis is the tallest point of a bunch of tall points so it’s not that exciting to look at. However from the gondola you can watch the downhill bikers falling over so that’s good. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    It's boorriinngggg! Hop in a car and head for Snowdon! Forget the Isle of Skye, you could go to the Rhyl sun center! 
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    The views can be spectacular from the top, especially if the cloud is low - you can see other peaks peeking through the cloud. However, i wouldnt bother with the tourist path. Carn mor Dearg is the way to do it - though its much longer. I used to work in the Belford Hosp in Fort William, so had a couple of oppurtunities to pick good weather days.

If you dont know Skye too well, the short (but steeeeep) path out to Neist point on the far west of the island is a good walk. Talisker Bay (nearish the distillery has dark volcanic sand.
    Theres also a pub/hostel across from the distillery) that does good beer/food.

Enjoy.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    Me and Mrs Burgo went up there in early April years ago, Not technical in any way but quite a trek and was snow covered and very foggy for the final hour or so, at one point the fog cleared to reveal a massive drop about 10 feet to my left which was a bit of a scare. Coming down was tricky on my dodgy knee. One of those things you have to do if you are in Fort William though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Did it about 35 years ago.  When the weather is good the views are incredible.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I did it years ago, it was a bit tedious and it was cloudy at the top so we didn't even get the views.  Took the cable car back down.  

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    edited May 2019
    Sod Ben Nevis. Skye is where it's at- my folks lived there for 10 years and I know the Cuillin like I know Gilmour's rig.

Mountains you can do without technical climbing on Skye.

1. Bruach na Frithe- amazing walk to summit from Glen. Park by farm at bottom 4 hours or so- piss easy- bit of exposure as you get to the end
    2. Sgurr Nan Gillean- the most impressive peak on Skye. Last 50 m needs a decent head for exposure and a little scramble. Long walk from the Slig Arms (Tourist Path- allow 8)
    3. Blaven- walk from the other side- don't get trapped in the valley in rain! 3hours. Piss Easy
    4. Sgurr Alistair (highest point)- from Corrie Lagan to summit is a bit of fun as you go up the Great Stone Shoot from the Corrie. Make sure you see the afternoon sun from Corrie Lagan. Walk with scambling ability for summit. Moderate/advanced, 5 hours
    5. If you're up there and want a challenge, then pop over to Torridon and An Teallach is superb, 2nd highest mountain in Scotland- moderate/advanced, 8 hours across the Chair.

Whatever you do, trek up to Corrie Lagan- there's 3 routes to the ridge up there- G Stone Shoot, Lady's Pinnacle gully (by the Cioch- trans lit, the nipple!) or the side of the Corrie leading to the InPin. But the Corrie, in early eve, is beyond spectacular. It is a walk. EDIT: I saw the Millenium in from Corrie Lagan, with many others. It was amazing.

Other things to do- go to mainland and drive Applecross Pass- highest road in UK, wait for a clear drive down the swtichback and enjoy! 3 Chimmneys is amazing grub. Boat to Loch Coruisk, but you can get there via the Glen and a scramble over Druim-na-Ramh (Ridge of Oars)

If you want more, inbox me. I worked as a volunteer on the Mountain Rescue every other weekend so I know the ridge pretty well and it's world class.

And take the right equipment. The Cuillin is very disrespectful to those that disrespect it.

(For clarity walk= if you're decently fit.)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Ha, I'm from there, and I've never done it. So I think you should. But I think I probably should too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom