Acoustic pickup wiring help needed

A while a go the piezo pickup in my acoustic failed.  It never sounded that great so I wasn't bothered and bought a soundhole pickup for it.

I've just tried fitting the pickup and decided it would be easiest to use the existing jack socket as the one that came with the soundhole pup needed screwing onto the body to secure it.  Anyway, I've wired the pickup onto the jack socket in exactly the same way that it was connected to the socket it came with but I get no output from it what so ever.

I know the pickup was working as I've used it with the lead trailing out of the soundhole before.  I did notice when de-soldering the piezo electrics that there was an extra wire going to the socket (there's only what I'm assuming to be the hot and the ground wire coming from the magnetic pickup).  Not sure what it was for or if it matters.

Any ideas of what I need to do to make it work?  Ideally I want it for an open mic night tomorrow.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Could you have overheated the shielded cable and melted the core through to the shield? That happens quite often with thin shielded cable. You also need to be careful to check it's not got a semi-conducting shield layer on top of the core insulation, which needs to be stripped back further so it doesn't contact the hot terminal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    It's possible that I've overheated something but I was pretty quick with the soldering iron.  The only thing that needed any prolonged heat was removing the ground from the piezo wiring.  Is there any way I can tell?  Is it possible that I overheated something in the jack removing the piezo's ground?

I stripped the hot wire back slightly to give me a bit more to work with but other than that the wires were left in the same state they came off the other jack.  I can't imagine there's anything touching now that wasn't before.

I take there's no reason why the jack socket shouldn't work then?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    It may be possible to overheat them, but I'm not sure - I never have. (Although I have with cables loads of times!)

Did you definitely connect to the right terminals on the jack? On most endpin jacks it's the shortest terminal which is the tip/hot, all the others should be grounded if you have a passive pickup.

You can confirm that by taking the jack out of the guitar and connecting it to the amp - you will get hum if you touch the tip terminal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Yeah, the red wire came off one of the short terminals and went onto the same one on the other jack. 

The urgency has no gone as the open mic night is now next week but I'll pull it out and have another look tomorrow after work.