Boss Katana And Sneaky Amp

What's Hot
DanDan Frets: 440
Hi all

Just thought I would share my experiences with my boss katana 100 head I’ve recently brought. Might be a bit late to the party though but here goes. 

Basically wow! Really impressed with it. The stock panel are very good but loaded the sneaky amps I’ve loaded in are crazy good. Mainly the twin, deluxe reverb and Marshall 1959 just take it to another level. 

Got it loaded with the latest v3 firmware and had the head before which was nice but for some reason didn’t quite bond with it so whether this v3 makes a difference or not I don’t know. 

Very happy and for a couple of hundred quid is insane what you get. 

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    I've got the 100 combo and it's a great amp. I've not felt the need to try the Sneaky amps as it sounds great anyway.

Though amp tempted to try just for the heck of it.

• Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    I’ve got one and it’s pretty good. I just use it for quiet practice at the moment as I’ve got a HK valve head for everything else and it blows the Boss away. They are versatile but haven’t found a nice breakup tone on it yet compared to my valve head. 
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    ive been gigging my 100 combo most weeks for 2 years, love it, not used sneaky amps, happy with my own patches
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    I tried the Sneaky Amps over the weekend. Didn't do much for me, still quite happy with the stock tones.

One thing I did try are the knew knob assignment options in the latest firmware/Tone Studio. These offer some interesting options.

For the uninitiated, the delay knob, for example normally adjusts several parameters at the same time - mix and feedback. Similarly the booster knob adjusts volume and gain at the same time. But in the latest firmware and tone studio software you can now change what the knobs and expression pedals do.

So I tried setting the delay knob to do delay mix only, with a preset feedback with a couple of repeats. Now the knob only does mix and I can do delay level with the tap tempo button/footswitch. Similarly I tried setting boost knob to drive only and reverb knob to mix level only. This all worked really well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited May 2019
    I've got a Katana 50 and I'm very impressed with it. I was enjoying it using the brown channel, and then I gave the sneaky amps a try and the Rockerverb model absolutely blew me away: I've managed to almost exactly replicate the sound of my Orange rig. I recorded this with it:

https://soundcloud.com/kerryymm/song-idea-3

I haven't upgraded to v3 as apparently the Rockerverb model has been removed, but for what I need I'm perfectly happy with v2. I'd probably go as far as to say it's the best amp purchase I've ever made  
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• DanDan Frets: 440
    Tried the Marshall 1959 one again today and really am blown away with it through a 1x12 pine cab w/et90 and LP. Sounds just like a Marshall should imo. Definitely cured my Marshall GAS anyway. 

I guess the the only bad think I have found in general is the spring reverb effect is too splashy/crashy/drippy. Others seem fine though.