Sim card advice for New York

notanonnotanon Frets: 605
I've had the mobile for more than 6 months so apparently I can call ee and get the phone unlocked for free.

I will unlock this phone then drop in one of these MOST SIM - T-Mobile USA SIM Card 7 Days, Unlimited High Speed Data/Calls/Texts, T-Mobile SIM Card US United States https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079S2HHXX
Any body used these type of sims in New York / usa? 

I was in Boston in 2016 and never did any research. I popped in a sim and it just worked. I've read up on the subject this time and it seems I need 4g lte and band b12 capable mobile. My Huawei p9 seems compatible and I have just ordered a pixel 3a xl upgrade.

Anybody used these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    What network are you on in the UK?

if you are on 3 or Vodafone both give you free internet in the US.  
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605

We are stuck on EE for coverage reasons. More and More it seems like EE are v expensive to modify the basic contracts. I had to pay £8.99 to unlock it on a phone I have had 14 months into a contract, it is free on O2. Daily data is £5 but that is only 500MB and not text or calls just data - O2 does the same price but includes calls and unlimited.

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    notanon said:

We are stuck on EE for coverage reasons. More and More it seems like EE are v expensive to modify the basic contracts. I had to pay £8.99 to unlock it on a phone I have had 14 months into a contract, it is free on O2. Daily data is £5 but that is only 500MB and not text or calls just data - O2 does the same price but includes calls and unlimited.

I may be wrong but I’m on EE and we went to New York September last year. I’m almost certain that I didn’t have any extra charges?
    How very rock and roll
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    @benmurray85 you must have some serious addons or some kind of dual sim setup. From EE site, £1.20/min for calls made and received. 60p per text. I spoke to EE customer care to check what is available.

I am curious why you didn't pay more did you check your payments? 
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    notanon said:
    @benmurray85 you must have some serious addons or some kind of dual sim setup. From EE site, £1.20/min for calls made and received. 60p per text. I spoke to EE customer care to check what is available.

I am curious why you didn't pay more did you check your payments? 
    Odd? Don’t get me wrong I wasn’t massively using the phone whilst I was there. Few phone calls, zero texts and data as usual I.e. too much! 

But yeah i honestly dont think i paid I paid way over my normal billing amount in that month. 
    How very rock and roll
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    ee 'Max' plans allow you to roam in the US and use your included mins/data etc

When we were in NY earlier this year, I just got myself a 3 sim for those couple weeks.  Ended up being invaluable as we were visiting family/friends so needed the phone to organise ourselves and google maps to find where we would meet them!