I liked it that much I bought another one!

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202

This one is a lot lighter - a smidge under 8lb... and now I've fitted Ultralite tuners to it as well so it's almost 7.5 lb

I had intended to have the other one with flats and this with rounds, but after a rehearsal with rounds on it I am convinced flats are best on a precision. Fortunately I had an old set of TI flats in a drawer and they are now installed.

However, I was a bit of a lucky boy as the ebay seller packed it like....

No box, no bubble wrap, and some of the catches on the case were open when it arrived.

I was quite surprised to discover that the bass was in the case at all, and that it was in great condition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Nice bass!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Very Sid Vicious :).

My first Rickenbacker 4003 arrived like that from an Ebay seller too, only without the clear plastic wrap! Literally just the case with a courier sticker on it. One corner of the case was broken, but the bass was surprisingly also both inside, and undamaged.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754
    ICBM said:
    Very Sid Vicious :).
    Or Dee Dee Ramone

ICBM said:

My first Rickenbacker 4003 arrived like that from an Ebay seller too, only without the clear plastic wrap! Literally just the case with a courier sticker on it.
    I had a Les Paul shipped from the US like that (which also survived intact) and a 1978 P bass shipped in a very loose box, with the headstock sticking out of the top (no case), covered by a flimsy plastic flower pot held on by a couple of bits of packing tape !

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    I might put a D tuner on it too.

I have a few tunes that really need an Eb and I don't like to octave jump for 1 note if it ruins the flow.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Nice bass. I have a project based on a Westfield that looks similar (only I chose to go with a maple fingerboard).

As for the packing...wow! It's the reason I've avoided buying used via interweb. My heart couldn't take the stress!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I might put a D tuner on it too.

I have a few tunes that really need an Eb and I don't like to octave jump for 1 note if it ruins the flow.
    D-tuners (eXtenders in new Hipshot speak) are great.

(I'm just about to have another 2 Rickenbacker bass ones off him.)

There are a lot of different types, so make sure you get the correct one!
    I’ve got one in a drawer somewhere. Pretty sure it’s the right size.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    It's lighter than my stratocaster! lol

It's a little like trying to give advice to a child, if you tell them something that will be to their benefit, they take no notice.

I've been telling @fretmeister for years that the Precision is the one true bass, and that four strings are better than five, but he's had to learn the truth his own way.

Having said that, I'm not going to assume that this discovery is the end of the story. I'm sure there will come a day when he posts on here that what he really misses are the two P basses he had and sold, and that he's on the lookout for a couple more.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I’ve still got a 5! 
    I’ve still got a 5! 
    Because you paid to have it mutilated to the point where no-one with any sense would buy it !

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nah, it’s brilliant!

And the neck is really comfy.

well that's ok then :)