Steve Backshall - Undiscovered Worlds - Mexico

What's Hot
CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287

It was a fascinating program but did anyone else feel uncomfortable watching it?

I can't think of much worse than being underwater in a confined space. The bits that were zero visibility must be extremely unpleasant.

I'm pleased some have the bottle to do that kind of thing, so the rest of us can experience seeing these amazing natural wonders.

Looking forward to next week.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I found the worst part being lowered into a cave that that had never been explored by humans barefoot. I'd at least want a pair of shoes so if its covered in bitey stuff down there, I have some kind of protection!  

He's got balls, I'll give him that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    We caught the last bit with the cave dive. My wife freaked out when they were going through the silt cloud and couldn’t watch anymore. Very interesting program though. 

He must indeed have balls made of granite, although he did have the decency to look scared. I couldn’t cope with the claustrophobia and lack of visibility, just following a rope into a cloud of silt isn’t my idea of idea of fun at all. 
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Yes - I thought that about going down the rope without shoes or at least slip ons!
    I've done scuba diving but theory is you're always next to your dive buddy - and you've got flippers, sorry fins, on yer feet,
    and err, no cave.
    Next week looks fun if he gets stuck - always been a fan of Steve Backshall when watching nature shows with my kids.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    Haven't seen the program, but I'm a big fan of that guy so will check it out. He does have balls of steel. He is driven by exploring where no-one else has been before, and pushing himself to his limits.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287

I think I'd have been alright with the lowering bit.

For me the thought of confined spaces is bad enough. Then adding the underwater element to it makes it unthinkable.

Madness, but it does make for some good telly.

The training dive with the two different flows of water in the same cave was amazing. It must be an amazing experience but fuck that for a game of soldiers.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Yep...good program...I think he gets stuck in the cave next week ;-)

Have you seen the Lidar pics of the Amazon?.....lost cities underneath and all that...spooky 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Yep...good program...I think he gets stuck in the cave next week ;-)

Have you seen the Lidar pics of the Amazon?.....lost cities underneath and all that...spooky 

I can remember the Channel 4 program where they flew plane over and mapped loads of new sites in a day using Lidar. It's pretty amazing.

I'd love to go to the Amazon one day.

Well, he got stuck. That must have been absolutely terrifying. 

I found the footage in the underground lake pretty uncomfortable to watch from start to finish.

It makes you appreciate what the guys doing the rescue in Thailand were up against. Pretty amazing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    It was good, but too much SB not enough Mayans for me.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    CHRISB50 said:

I found the footage in the underground lake pretty uncomfortable to watch from start to finish.

It makes you appreciate what the guys doing the rescue in Thailand were up against. Pretty amazing. 
    Did you not think that bit may have been hammed up for the camera?

Amazing show though, would love to do that well dive and hats off to him as he’s not exactly built for cave diving!
    CHRISB50 said:

Did you not think that bit may have been hammed up for the camera?

Amazing show though, would love to do that well dive and hats off to him as he’s not exactly built for cave diving!

I know what you mean, and I did wonder a bit.

It made me chuckle when the research guy was talking to SB the night before their dive saying the one thing you can't do is panic. You must not panic. He game him a look which said, I bet you're going to panic!

I really admire the camerawoman who also has to manoeuvre a camera, and make sure she's getting good shots as well as think about everything else.

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    CHRISB50 said:

I really admire the camerawoman who also has to manoeuvre a camera, and make sure she's getting good shots as well as think about everything else.

"does my bum look big in this?", "how do I take an animal face selfie with this thing?" "will I be back in time to watch love island?" etc, etc.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Good call on this, I've just watched through the 2 Mexico episodes.

Some if it made me feel physically ill... I'm a proper claustrophobe, that bit at the end where the fella takes off both his air tanks to squeeze through a hole narrower than my belly... Bloody hell!
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited May 2019
    Yeah I thought the getting stuck bit was hammed up a bit - there was a camera filming his feet. Mind, what can you do if you really are stuck? No voice comms with no full face mask, just dive buddy signals.

For British sub aqua club you have to take off all the gear at the bottom of a pool - swim to top for a deep breath and then go back down and put all the gear back on, while remembering to clear the respirator and grab hold of the weight belt to keep you and the air down there. Fun if you practise in a pool!