those Hiwatt Custom amps

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
I see a few of these second-hand for what looks like very good prices -- as in less than a third of the new cost. Not that I need an amp capable of reducing my neighbourhood to rubble, but I do like the sound of a Hiwatt. Are these ones not well thought-of, or something?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    Be more specific. Which ones?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    The association with the brand being owned by certain convicted criminals taints them.

They also suffer from being perceived as too loud and heavy for most people nowadays.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    The DR103 and 504 are huge and not very versatile (in terms of effects/ channel switching etc) but they sound great with the right cabs... I like loud amps
    I'll always admire the DR405 as well. Not because I really have any practical use for it, even for bass, but just as an example of how far it's possible to sensibly go with a valve audio amp - around 450W continuous clean and over 750W distorted, on the two I've worked on :). They are quite heavy though ;)

But if anything I thought the DR201 200W sounded better - not sure why.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited May 2019
    There's been several owners over the lifetime. There are probably preferred years, etc
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I'll always admire the DR405 as well. Not because I really have any practical use for it, even for bass, but just as an example of how far it's possible to sensibly go with a valve audio amp - around 450W continuous clean and over 750W distorted, on the two I've worked on :). They are quite heavy though ;)
    Sounds like a good winter workshop heater..
    Modulus_Amps said:

Sounds like a good winter workshop heater..
    I had to make dummy loads out of an old heater and a kettle to test them fully :).

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    So there are no quality concerns about these compared to the original Hiwatts, it's just the Musicground connection that puts people off? hmmmm...
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    I would consider the Musicground connection to be a quality concern.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    prlgmnr said:
    I would consider the Musicground connection to be a quality concern.
    In terms of the quality of the amps it isn't.
    They're all hand wired and very well done.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.