Jeremy Kyle Show cancelled (forever)

What's Hot
FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
Knee jerk over-reaction, methinks.

No matter how sleazy the Kyle show (or its Springer-esque format) seems, appearing on it is not what drove a man to suicide. It was his own emotional reaction to being caught out, thereby destroying the future that he had planned. 
Be seeing you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    What a shame - I was hoping they’d have Danny Baker on taking the lie detector test....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    edited May 2019
    A grievous blow for contemporary culture........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I think that it's a show that largely preys on vulnerable people, it's about time we said no to that sort of thing. 

That is aside from the fact that it is some of the worst sh*te ever to be shown on TV.

As for the poor bloke who committed suicide, they had someone on the radio today who was in the audience, she said that it was really difficult to watch and people in the audience were uncomfortable seeing it unfold - which is surprising as I hear that they usually seem to lap it up. Lots of sobbing and stuff from him and his partner. It really is a train wreck of a format.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Agree with the OP regarding JK not being solely to blame for the suicide. The poor sod obviously was deluded and desperate enough to start believing his own lies, and when his crap life got even crapper he couldn’t take it anymore. Perhaps they could have provided more aftercare, but the biggest question is why he was allowed on in the first place. They must complete some sort of vetting an psychological testing prior to them appearing?

As for the show being cancelled, I’m thrilled. For the last 15 years it’s been a freak show masquerading as a show designed to help people. The whole show is rotten, produced by parasites who prey on the weak, the addicted, the naive, the broken, the mentally ill, the desperate, the deluded, all in the name of entertainment.

If the show was really about helping people through their problems, the show wouldn’t have been sponsored by gambling companies at certain points throughout its run. What sort of message does that give out?

Glad it’s gone, but I’m in no doubt a similar show will pop up sooner rather than later, with a new name and slightly altered format. ITV won’t allow such a cash cow to die. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Good riddance.

Brings nothing positive to society, and is low-brow 'amusement' to the lowest common denominator crowd.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 413
    It's TV for salacious cunts and I'm glad to see the back of it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Kyle did a DNA test on the show once.

98% slug 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited May 2019
    Good.

However it will almost certainly eventually be replaced by something equally exploitative, even if it doesn't necessarily start out that way. Because that's the kind of society we have become...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I believe they did employ pre care checks to make sure people were up to it but nothings perfect.  How so many people went on the show confident they would bluff their way through a lie detector is astounding.

I don't think I'm a snob but I found it really sobering to see how different life is for some people.  The chap who committed suicide lived a few miles from me.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3010
    Good. Vile program.

Public executions were once a very popular form entertainment pandering to the basest of human animalistic instincts. I don’t see how this show was much different.

Im glad it has gone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    I've never seen a whole episode. As I do some home visits it's often on and the impression of the show is of angry people and quite unpleasant. I ask people what's happening and they never know, it's just having the TV on as background noise. People having their lives pulled apart with viewing figures that are mostly people having it on as background noise. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    munckee said:
    I believe they did employ pre care checks to make sure people were up to it but nothings perfect.  How so many people went on the show confident they would bluff their way through a lie detector is astounding.

I don't think I'm a snob but I found it really sobering to see how different life is for some people.  The chap who committed suicide lived a few miles from me.
    Was he in earshot of your Mardy Bum by chance ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    FarleyUK said:
    Good riddance.

Brings nothing positive to society, and is low-brow 'amusement' to the lowest common denominator crowd.
    This ^^^
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    If you live long enough it is only a matter of time until someone kills themselves shortly after meeting you.*

*Yes it is bollocks.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3010
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2175
    They should ban all these shows that mock the lower classes and disabled. Channel 5 is the worst for it.

Nothing more than modern day freak shows that do nothing for social good. Just create a bigger divide between us and them.

Anyway that aside, any poorpers out there desperate to shift that £3k guitar you shouldn't have over spent on and now have the bailiffs at the door? I've got my £200k bonus burning a hole in my pocket and feel like a bargain. Alternatively I can loan you out of trouble for a few weeks at 2000% APR. Love taking advantage of the poor, it's what this country is built upon.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I glanced across the railway carriage this morning and saw someone reading the Mirror, I think - and there was a massively salacious headline berating the Jeremy Kyle show, what a freak show it was, how we could tolerate such an abomination etc.

It's been on TV for years!  It's always been a pile of lowest common denominating shite.  The modern equivalent of Victorian freak shows.

I'm incredulous at the incredulity shown by society towards the Jeremy Kyle show.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    So much of tv is like JK these days. If we’re banning it there’s plenty more out there that should also get the chop
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    ICBM said:
    Good.

However it will almost certainly eventually be replaced by something equally exploitative, even if it doesn't necessarily start out that way. Because that's the kind of society we have become...

Wouldn't it be great if this is the start of the 'entertainment' industry holding up a mirror to itself.  Its mental health awareness week, TV stations are falling over each other to run stories showing how much they care about MH yet programs like this sh1t have been allowed to exploit vulnerable people for years. 
  • I will miss it.  :'(

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom