iPhone XR or XS

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
Both bloody expensive but has anyone got any advice on these choices? Is it mainly the camera that's the main difference ? 
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    edited May 2019
    Both bloody expensive but has anyone got any advice on these choices? Is it mainly the camera that's the main difference ? 
    Differences are

1 - XR does not have the telephoto camera. the wide angle is the same
    2 - it has 1G of RAM less 
    3 - It has LCD, not OLED screen
    4 - It has lower res screen
    5 - Battery is bigger, and together with fewer pixels, the battery life is the best of all the iPhones, ever.
    6 - You can pick various colours.
    7 - IP67, not IP 68 rated water resistance (never got any of my previous phones wet)
    8 - No 3D touch (never used it)
    9 - The edge of the phone is  aluminium on the XR, it is stainless steel on the XS

What is the same?

1 - The CPU, it is very fast
    2 - FaceID the same
    3 - Wide angle camera the same
    4 - Wireless charging the same

In actual use, you will not miss the 1G of RAM as iOS has great memory management, but you will notice the longer battery life, which is the silver lining of the lower res screen.

I actually looked at both side by side in a store, i honestly can't great deal of difference between the LCD and OLED.  The savings is about £250 difference which is enough to justify the difference. 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    iPhone XS - the name says it all. ;)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited May 2019
    WRaymondLin said:

what case did you get for it @RaymondLin ;;  Apple?

Differences are

5 - Battery is bigger, and together with fewer pixels, the battery life is the best of all the iPhones, ever.
    7 - IP67, not IP 68 rated water resistance (never got any of my previous phones wet)
    9 - The edge of the phone is  aluminium on the XR, it is stainless steel on the XS

What is the same?

2 - FaceID the same

In actual use, you will not miss the 1G of RAM as iOS has great memory management, but you will notice the longer battery life, which is the silver lining of the lower res screen.

I actually looked at both side by side in a store, i honestly can't great deal of difference between the LCD and OLED.  The savings is about £250 difference which is enough to justify the difference. 
    So the XR has the better battery life?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

I'm going to get an XR, after I've squeezed a bit more life out of my 6, which to be fair is showing the signs of age.
      That said, I changed the battery the other day and it has improved (now on battery 3).

Also re the XS, as it has 2 lenses it can add depth of field to portraits, the XR does this via software, but if you are more of a photographer you might want to go for the XS. (none withstanding if you are into photography you probably use an SLR anyway)
    edited May 2019

Differences are

What is the same?

2 - FaceID the same

Yes, because the size of the batter is quite big due to the physical size (between XS and XS XL).  It has more juice pushing less pixels so it has longer battery.

I got the case from Amazon, it has rubber sides and actual glass back.  So it feels like the back of the phone which is glass.  It's about £10.

The apple case is like £40? and i think its plastic.

Differences are

What is the same?

2 - FaceID the same

Yes, because the size of the batter is quite big due to the physical size (between XS and XS XL).  It has more juice pushing less pixels so it has longer battery.

I got the case from Amazon, it has rubber sides and actual glass back.  So it feels like the back of the phone which is glass.  It's about £10.

If the cover is glass then I won’t want it as that’ll be breaking all the time with drops etc :(

I'm going to get an XR, after I've squeezed a bit more life out of my 6, which to be fair is showing the signs of age.
      That said, I changed the battery the other day and it has improved (now on battery 3).

Also re the XS, as it has 2 lenses it can add depth of field to portraits, the XR does this via software, but if you are more of a photographer you might want to go for the XS. (none withstanding if you are into photography you probably use an SLR anyway)
    I think my 5s is on its last legs too 

Differences are

What is the same?

2 - FaceID the same

If the cover is glass then I won’t want it as that’ll be breaking all the time with drops etc :(
    Ive dropped it a couple of times, it’s survived.  Granted it’s not the world’s most rugged material for cases but I wanted one to show off the colour hence the choice.

i went from iPhone 6 as well. 

Face ID is the first thing you notice, I don’t mind it now but it does struggle to recognise my puffy face first thing in the morning without my glasses on.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349

Differences are

What is the same?

2 - FaceID the same

Ive dropped it a couple of times, it’s survived.  Granted it’s not the world’s most rugged material for cases but I wanted one to show off the colour hence the choice.

i went from iPhone 6 as well. 

Face ID is the first thing you notice, I don’t mind it now but it does struggle to recognise my puffy face first thing in the morning without my glasses on.
    I remember Frankie Boyle saying you should use your sex face for the facial recognition. Then at least if the phone gets stolen the thief will have to have a wank to open it. :3  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3679
    Thanks for this; I’m in the “upgrade zone” at the moment and had the same discussion with my 14 year old son last night. 
    I think it’s the XR for me 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    I upgraded from a 6s to an XR and really like it. It's quite a lot bigger than the 6s too. I was tempted by the XS but I doubt I'd really notice the difference between displays and the other 'better bits'. The camera is very decent too. I got a red one too like @RaymondLin ;
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I recently got the XR, I couldn't be happier with it. Love face ID and Apple Pay. I got a nice leather Otterbox wallet for mine too. Feels great quality and protects it well.
    Budgie said:
    I upgraded from a 6s to an XR and really like it. It's quite a lot bigger than the 6s too. I was tempted by the XS but I doubt I'd really notice the difference between displays and the other 'better bits'. The camera is very decent too. I got a red one too like @RaymondLin ;
    It’s gotta be red 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I got the white one. Took me ages to decide. Now I couldn't care less!
    Deadman said:
    I got the white one. Took me ages to decide. Now I couldn't care less!
    Same! I was on the phone negotiating and left my colour decision last...kept going back and forth.  But I think that’s because I’d be happy with either.
    edited May 2019
    Although the Xs will have more longevity with what’s packed in there I.e. ram. Stainless steel and a better camera. Might be worth the extra in the long run

And it’s smaller than the Xr 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Although the Xs will have more longevity with what’s packed in there I.e. ram. Stainless steel and a better camera. Might be worth the extra in the long run

And it’s smaller than the Xr 
    This is important for me. I use an 8 for work and XS for personal. I love the screen on the XS but I'd hate to go any bigger; the 8 is still much more comfortable to hold. 

And I like 3D touch a lot. It's a difficult thing to market, so most people don't know it exists, but it's actually really useful
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires