Diezel VHX

What's Hot
Haven't seen any discussion on here about this amp. But it looks pretty damn cool.

I'm stealing all this info from Rig Talk, but from what I can see...

Controls:
The knobs are digital encoders (rather than analog pots), and thus spin 360 degrees around (stepped) while adjusting the amps internal parameters.

-The knob by itself on the left (with the 3 lines next to it) appears to cycle through saved presets or move around the screen, but I am not entirely sure.

From top to bottom on the left side of the display (while in Preamp adjustment mode):
  1. Gain (Adjusts channel Gain and can be pressed/clicked to cycle through the gain modes: Clean, Crunch, Rhythm, and Lead.)
  2. Bright or Shape (This knob appears to have different functions depending on which channel is selected. Looks to be "Bright" for the Clean channel and "Shape", which is shown to gradually adjust tonal character/voice, for the others.)
  3. Treble
  4. Middle
  5. Bass

From top to bottom on the right side of the display (while in Preamp adjustment mode):
  1. Master (Adjusts Master Volume and can be pressed/clicked to switch between regular Master Volume, and low-wattage/1-watt mode.)
  2. Volume (Adjusts the Channel Volume.)
  3. Presence
  4. Mid-Cut. (The amp has mid-cut included, so it may simply be VH4+Midcut, or imply some combination with or availability of Herbert tones.)
  5. Depth

-I am not entirely clear on the various controls for the FX menu mode, but it appears that the bottom right knob is used for moving around and it looks as if multiple knobs are likely clickable for selecting various effect types/blocks and editing parameters.

Switches:
  1. Preamp (Press switch to show Preamp parameters on screen and make adjustments using the knobs.)
  2. FX (Press switch to show FX parameters on screen and make adjustments using the knobs.)
  3. Store (Save Preset.)
  4. Mute (Mutes amp. Mute status is shown on the Display.)

DSP:
-The amp includes a variety of built-in effects.
-Effects can be placed before or after the preamp.
-The display appears to indicate 8 slots/blocks. 
-One of the blocks is shown to be labelled as "Loop A". This may indicate that there is also a "Loop B" available in the DSP, or that a Loop B is included as an analog/serial/etc loop, however, the Loop A block could also potentially be used to place an analog loop between built-in DSP effects. (I am also assuming that any included analog loops are switchable and store-able within the presets.)

Effects I have managed to spot so far:
  1. Comp (Compressor)
  2. Chorus
  3. Tremolo
  4. Delay
  5. Reverb
  6. GEQ (Graphic Equalizer. I am actually quite happy about this inclusion as it would allow for some nice fine-tuning and a lot of interesting tone-shaping possibilities.)
  7. Tuner

-I have yet to determine whether the DSP effects are all serial or if they have wet/dry controls available, but it stands to reason that blend controls could easily be included.

-The amp has built in DSP cabinet modelling / the ability to load IRs for custom options.

Peter Diezel says they've covered the channels from all amps - so I'm guessing this will do Hagen, VH4, D-Moll, and Herbert all in one box. Possibly??

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    All lies. It's a katana in a new box.  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Just what I've been looking for to use in my rockabilly band, as long as it does a decent slapback.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    Looks like what the Suhr PT15 IR could have been.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like what the Suhr PT15 IR could have been.
    I think there is room for some great 100-watter valve amps with built in EVERYTHING; I'd definitely consider buying one of these.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    I dunno... couldn't just take that to my amp guy if things went south.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Looks fantastic (and unfixable).

My concern as an all-in-one solution is that you either need two of them or a full conventional rig as backup, or it's gig over if there's a problem. 

There's no reason to assume it wouldn't be extremely reliable, but knowing I can gig with only my amp or only my pedalboard is comforting. 
    tekbow said:
    I dunno... couldn't just take that to my amp guy if things went south.
    True.

Neither could you for an AXe-FX or a Strymon pedal. 
    Looks like what the Suhr PT15 IR could have been.
    I think there is room for some great 100-watter valve amps with built in EVERYTHING; I'd definitely consider buying one of these.
    I can see the price being mental if it's effectively a modern modelling unit and a top class multi-channel valve amp all in one.

I still want a D-Moll! But as I only gig on bass these days it would be completely wasted as a home amp.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    so is it fully digital or is the amplification analogue?
  • Amp is analog.

Bye!

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    From the NAMM vid it looked like it had level meters which is a great idea, actually scratch all the FX jsut having level emters would make 4CM so much less of a pita to get working transparently.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2097
    I bet it’s pretty killer. 

Diezel have never made a bad amp. 
    Only hesitation I'd have is that it ties your amp into a certain generation of FX modelling. I already have a VH4 and a helix. The VH4 has been the top of it's niche since the 90s but digital FX modelling is improving all the time. My expectation is that I will never sell the VH4 but I will prob replace the helix in 5-10 years time as the technology improves. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Only hesitation I'd have is that it ties your amp into a certain generation of FX modelling. I already have a VH4 and a helix. The VH4 has been the top of it's niche since the 90s but digital FX modelling is improving all the time. My expectation is that I will never sell the VH4 but I will prob replace the helix in 5-10 years time as the technology improves. 
    TBH, I'm more interested in this from the perspective of having the D-Moll, Hagen, VH4, and Herbert, all in one box.

Also... not sure anyone is really going to improve on a 2019 compressor circuit any time soon... so there will still be DSP elements in the amp that will stand the test of time I reckon.

I just got done watching a Rick Beato video on Andy Wallace mixing techniques, and his love for the Yamaha SP rack units, which are ancient, but he apparently uses on everything.

Bye!

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    Pretty good demo of it here - should be an absolute beast, but well beyond by meagre needs:

Only hesitation I'd have is that it ties your amp into a certain generation of FX modelling. I already have a VH4 and a helix. The VH4 has been the top of it's niche since the 90s but digital FX modelling is improving all the time. My expectation is that I will never sell the VH4 but I will prob replace the helix in 5-10 years time as the technology improves. 
    TBH, I'm more interested in this from the perspective of having the D-Moll, Hagen, VH4, and Herbert, all in one box.

Also... not sure anyone is really going to improve on a 2019 compressor circuit any time soon... so there will still be DSP elements in the amp that will stand the test of time I reckon.

I just got done watching a Rick Beato video on Andy Wallace mixing techniques, and his love for the Yamaha SP rack units, which are ancient, but he apparently uses on everything.
    I guess I was coming at as more of a drop the FX board angle as I don't think it would manage that.What did you think of the STL reamp btw?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Only hesitation I'd have is that it ties your amp into a certain generation of FX modelling. I already have a VH4 and a helix. The VH4 has been the top of it's niche since the 90s but digital FX modelling is improving all the time. My expectation is that I will never sell the VH4 but I will prob replace the helix in 5-10 years time as the technology improves. 

I guess I was coming at as more of a drop the FX board angle as I don't think it would manage that.What did you think of the STL reamp btw?
    Not sure I've seen the STL reamp, or maybe I forgot about it???

Bye!

Not sure I've seen the STL reamp, or maybe I forgot about it???i
    Posted it in the FB on your speaker shootout. Its your DI put through the VH4 sim on all defaults.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Oh, I haven't seen that. I'll go have a sniff.

Bye!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Pretty good demo of it here - should be an absolute beast, but well beyond by meagre needs:

Glad he found the tuner at around 3 minutes. Otherwise sounds like a Line 6 Spider. Does it do a good Mayer tone?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom