which 2x12 and 1x12 cabs are decent quality ?marshall ? Jet City ?

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I’m in the market for a 2 x12 and possibly a 1x12 to go with the Marshall studio head I’m looking to buy . 
Preferably vertical , although if it’s not I could just turn it on it’s side .
I’ll likely be looking 2nd hand . Does anyone know if the current Marshall cabs are any good ? I hate the mono / stereo jack socket but I could change that if the cabs are decent . Are they using mdf or ply ??
seen a jet city vertical 2x12 but I don’t know anyone who’s used one , are they worth a shot ?
i like orange cabs but they might be a bit heavy for lugging around .
has anyone got any suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had an ENGL Vertical 2x12 years and years ago, and it was actually quite brilliant. I fancy another one actually.

There are the Mesa Boogie ones which are good, but they're horizontal. I don't like the Orange 2x12 horizontal ones tbh.

Zilla could probably put something together for you?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Marshall cabs are okay. But only okay. They don't have the uber low-end that I look for anyway.

Bye!

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Zilla are good value, I do like the Orange 2x12.

I put it on its end though for better spread.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Harley Benton do a vertical G212 now. Ply with V30s - probably not everyone’s first choice of speakers, but unbeatable value for money.

No stereo wiring either, unlike the horizontal one.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage_vertical.htm

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited May 2019
    The matching Studio cabs are made in the UK and out of ply afaik, and have a mono jack input. Loaded with V Type speakers which are better than T75s imo and the Studio heads sound great through them. I get that they're quite pricey though, but the plexi one does look awesome paired with the head 
    The matching cab is £600! That’s actually more expensive than the 2061 cab was, although admittedly a few years ago. Those are really nice, if you can find one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I think the matching cab is too pricey. There’s  lot more options once you start spending that type of money !!

Marshall 1966a any good ?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1812
    Bogner Cube? I can't believe how good they sound - it's completely transformed my rig....
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    ICBM said:
    Harley Benton do a vertical G212 now. Ply with V30s - probably not everyone’s first choice of speakers, but unbeatable value for money.

You can use the horizontal one in mono 8Ohm mode, there's a switch. 

You can use the horizontal one in mono 8Ohm mode, there's a switch. 
    I know, but it's another potential failure point that most users don't really need. In fact the jacks are a bit crap as well... but it would be easy to replace them with better ones and not bother with the switch.

John_A said:
     Cab looks great but I’m nowhere near you !!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
     Cab looks great but I’m nowhere near you !!
    My brother is in Stanley, I can get it to him
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Blackstar Vertical 2x12 is cool. Not many s/h though...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    I did a speaker swap with my harley benton one and its been great
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • randellarandella Frets: 4165
    ICBM said:

Jesus, that's astonishing.  A sheet of boggo 18mm interior ply is, what, £40?  Two Celestion drivers, tolex, handles, feet, jacks, cable, socket?

Not for £208 that's for sure!
    randella said:

Jesus, that's astonishing.  A sheet of boggo 18mm interior ply is, what, £40?  Two Celestion drivers, tolex, handles, feet, jacks, cable, socket?

It's amazing what a retailer can do something for when they're buying direct from the factory in China with no middlemen...

• randellarandella Frets: 4165
    ICBM said:
    randella said:

It's amazing what a retailer can do something for when they're buying direct from the factory in China with no middlemen...
    Someone, somewhere in that supply chain is being paid naff-all.

I understand economies of scale, but even so, that's quite a price they're knocking those out for.  If the same factory was making the speakers I'd get it a little more.  The street price of a V30 is over £100 last I looked, so say the factory's getting them for half-price.  That's still all the materials and labour, transport, and retailer markup to make a cabinet for £100.

Obviously it all works out or they wouldn't be doing it, but I was surprised at the price still.  Probably why I work in IT and not international product supply chain procurement, or whatever the job's called :)
    randella said:

Someone, somewhere in that supply chain is being paid naff-all.
    Yes, the Chinese factory workers.

randella said:

The street price of a V30 is over £100 last I looked, so say the factory's getting them for half-price.
    Not even close. I would guess the factory gate price in China is more like £20.