Nostalgic gaming.... I’m tempted!

GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
in Off Topic tFB Trader
I got up at 6.30 this morning to continue wet sanding a bunch of bodies that need buffed next week. With the coffee poured, YouTube on the tv and guitar body in front of me I started looking for something to watch.... turns out I’m up to date with JHS, TPS, NHL and Pecos Hank (tornado chaser) I start hunting through the guitar factory tour stuff and get bored quite quickly. Then I spy a video for the new F1 2019 game. Wow, it’s looks AMAZING. I don’t know why but Destruction Derby suddenly pops into my head. I then sit for an hour watching what is nearly a full gameplay run through. 

Now, it’s been 7 years since our last PlayStation (3??) died. I haven’t had a console since. I decided to hit google and I managed to find a PS1 new in Curry’s for £50, 2 controllers and pre loaded with a bunch of games. My two eldest are 6 (7 next month) and 9 (10 in 2 months). So... right now I’m thinking about jumping in the car to get the PS bought and we can all have some proper fun with it.

I haven’t really looked into it properly but I assume it supports old games? HDMI ready? Anyone think nostalgic stuff like this is best left in the past? Watching this video this morning makes me with I had a controller right now!

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/gaming/gaming-consoles/sony-playstation-classic-10187506-pdt.html?store=2414&&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=2928af81-b29b-476c-a180-ac5de265a98e&istItemId=wrqqqrxtx&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~0070+(PLA)+PlayStation+4~0070+(PLA)+PlayStation+4+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=m&ds_kids=92700042020974720&tgtid=0070+(PLA)+PlayStation+4&gclsrc=aw.ds&&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2pfqooWn4gIVLbHtCh2t5wEJEAQYAiABEgIB9_D_BwE
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Don’t think you can play extra games on it... just the preloaded ones!...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    Don’t think you can play extra games on it... just the preloaded ones!...
    Ah really? Bummer. Still, it seems to only have 2-3 games on it that I don’t like. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1374
    Morning chap. I have a Ps2 with a load of games (well to be more accurate my son does) that's taking up a load of space. Afaik it's all working fine. Would you like to see if he wants to sell it? All vintage correct, hardly any relicing!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    Morning chap. I have a Ps2 with a load of games (well to be more accurate my son does) that's taking up a load of space. Afaik it's all working fine. Would you like to see if he wants to sell it? All vintage correct, hardly any relicing!
    Hi man, yeah sure it wouldn’t do any harm if you want to PM a price. I just need to look into how to connect it to HDMI. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    The mini PlayStation is a raspberry pie thing running an emulation. Most of the reviews aren't kind. It's meant to suffer with frame rates and other issues. It's flopped pretty badly hence why they are 30 quid now (they were 80 on release).
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    We have the SNES and Nintendo consoles and my kids like them, they are a laugh and have various mario games plus racing and street fighter ii the best fighting game ever.

Worth the money about £70 each I think.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    You can load the NES/SNES/PS1 minis with extra ROMs easily enough. The emulator on the SNES one is at least as good as anything else. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Ebuyer have the playstation for £30
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    A quick Google suggests its an option to put other roms on to the ps classic
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 880
    I bought my daughter the mini SNES. It comes with about 18 games and HDMI connections.
    There was a couple of games on there that I loved but I am sorry to say only held my attention for a very short time.
    If you asked me to list my top five games, Resident Evil 4 would be there.
    I recently bought it as a PS4 download and it was not great. Very clunky.
    Vintage guitars yes, games not so much. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Ebuyer have the playstation for £30
    As do Argos. 

I never had a PlayStation, so my retro gaming needs are sorted with a Raspberry Pi with RetroPie installed :) 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    I’m currently reliving my youth and starting out on GameCube. There are so many good titles that I loved yet never
    completed. There are some games I never got round to playing at all.

As for PS1, there are a wealth of games worth having — Tekken, Wipeout, Gran Turisimo, Tomb Raider, Tenchu, Crash Bandicoot, Abe’s Odyssey, Vigilante 8, Driver, and so on. Me and my mate played Destruction Derby 2 for hours. So much fun!

Some games hold up better than others, but graphic quality can be forgiven as long as the gameplay is good.