Gluing aluminium

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2352
    OK, for the confused, here are some more photos.  Obviously, I can't stand it on its end as it will fall apart.

https://i.imgur.com/eLVBenE.jpg 

https://i.imgur.com/QYGb7lW.jpg 

I am going to investigate new rods as I don't think they are the originals and then try an interference fit.

I don't want to drill right through and then have locking nuts on both sides.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    sorry to disappoint but we have one identical .........I think it came from either Homebase or Habitat about 6 years ago.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72228
    Dominic said:
    sorry to disappoint but we have one identical .........I think it came from either Homebase or Habitat about 6 years ago.
    There are a vast number of them actually!

9 bottle aluminium wine rack

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9577
    Thanks for the extra photos! I thought that the textured surface was part of it, and the rods were in position. Now, when I scroll up to original photo my brain makes sense out of it immediately. A remarkable, accidental optical illusion!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Emp_Fab said:
    Won’t work on ally.  You could always try a friction fit.....   layer as many small sheets of aluminium cooking foil as needed over the holes, to fill the gaps between hole and rod diameters then hammer the rods in tight.  Good as anything I guess.  It’s not as if there’s going to be much strain on them anyway.
    Pretty sure you can solder aluminium?
    Maybe more hassle than it's worth tho.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
    You can solder ally but it's a pain in the arse.  Aluminium forms an oxide layer quickly and you need the right flux and solder and it's got to be scrupulously clean etc etc.  Just use JB Weld on it!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • DdiggerDdigger Frets: 2352
    LOL! Wait til I tell my old man.

Hey ho, still needs fixing.  this weekend I will investigate larger diameter rods and some epoxy.

Thanks for all the comments.

Ddig
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
     You don’t need larger rods...  JB Weld sets like steel - stronger than the bars anyway.  It’s obviously your call if you want to massively overengineer a wine rack but there’s really no need.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
    JB Weld is Yank Araldite, dyed silver. 

It's handy stuff, but it's qualities are overstated IME. 

I keep some in my travelling motorcycle toolkit and it's got me home a couple of times, but it's just temporary glue, don't led the "weld" bit fool you. 
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Sikaflex will grip ally... drink wine and wait 24 hours.... repeat process if it dosent work first time......
    When logic and proportion
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11878
    Remember the weight of the full wine bottles, and the value of their contents before committing to a bit of glue
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    I can I can sell you a brand new one, we do them in my shop!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom