NPsD - double ThorpyFX joy!

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7407
Oh my.

I have owned a number of different everyday and booteek compressors in my time (hard to power valve things, gargantuan things with transformers inside, a few different Keeleys, some simpler classic stuff) but I've never been so immediately impressed as with Fat General

I confess that I have watched more than few demos of it, and based on those hadn't heard anything that made my ears prick up and reach for the credit card, but I've heard too many good firsthand reports from people whose judgment I respect to keep ignoring so took advantage of the v1 blowout on Thorpy's site. 

It's just a beautifully 'sorted' circuit - I may end up with it as an always on (when clean) as it flatters my hamfisted rhythm technique and offers a sensibly-judged range of treble gloss control too - but it also performs brilliantly when set in a more 'obvious' way.

Just brilliant - kicking myself I waited so long. Pedalboard adjustments will have to occur which would normally annoy me but I don't care - it's getting nailed down.

I have also rectified my rash decision of a year or so ago to sell my original Peacekeeper - now replaced and has replaced my venerable MkI Guvnor for light drive duties (The Guv can stay at home where any impeding unreliability won't harm anyones evening) 

This makes me a 3 Thorpy household - which is quite a feat given that I sold a ton of stuff when my financial circumstances changed. 

Man - that Fat General - I'm smitten... 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• How does it do with more obvious compression. Like overtly affected tone? I love that kind of setting, eg...I can tell when an Origin Cali is in my chain. 

There's been way too many good reviews on here to ignore the FG now that I'm on the hunt for a comp. But so far only heard good stories of how transparent it is. I've got the Cornish for transparency, now I want over the top compression.

Anyone?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6388
    You old gear slag you ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    Fat General is one of the best things I have ever bought 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24239
    How does it do with more obvious compression. Like overtly affected tone? I love that kind of setting, eg...I can tell when an Origin Cali is in my chain. 

There's been way too many good reviews on here to ignore the FG now that I'm on the hunt for a comp. But so far only heard good stories of how transparent it is. I've got the Cornish for transparency, now I want over the top compression.

Anyone?
    I've not tried the FG yet, but for that purpose I love the Keeley Pro.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    I got a Fat General recently. Took me a bit to get to grips with it, as the other comp I have can be set to produce a slightly less rich tone (more of a slight mid scoop with less low end) that I like. But, I've found settings that I like on the Fat General now, and really like it.

The very squishy sounds out of it are very good, as are the more subtle blended sounds, which is how I have it most of the time.

How does it do with more obvious compression. Like overtly affected tone? I love that kind of setting, eg...I can tell when an Origin Cali is in my chain. 

Anyone?

I played it alongside a Keeley pro on Friday evening, the FG is quite significantly better IMO and the opinion of the others there
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24239
    mgaw said:

Anyone?

I played it alongside a Keeley pro on Friday evening, the FG is quite significantly better IMO and the opinion of the others there
    Was it on bass? No? Then I'm still right! ;) 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7407

You'd probably love the Markbass Compressore too then - it's even more vibey than the Origin (I had the big-box Cali 76 Tx)
    Red ones are better. 
    mgaw said:

Anyone?

Was it on bass? No? Then I'm still right! ;) 

you are indeed right...though it was the sentinent creatures ev ening...Bass players are tonight @fretmeister
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I'm eyeing up another Thorpy pedal but not sure which way to go...

I have a Peacekeeper which is utterly brilliant at everything. Sometimes I use it as a low gain transparent drive, almost a compressor with added grit. Other times I crank up the gain and presence and it does the Tube Screamer type thing beautifully.

So. Depending on whether I want to have the Peacekeeper on low or high gain, there is a slot either side of it for a compressor or a drive / distortion, so Fat General / Gunshot / Warthog or another Peacekeeper! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    The Warthog stacks amazingly well with the peacekeeper.
    It can do the low gain thing too can't it?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Fuengi said:
    It can do the low gain thing too can't it?

Yes but I liked it best when it gets a bit naughty.
    Went for the Fat General as couldn't resist the clearance sale. Ordered on Monday, arriving today. Have two days booked in the office (studio) tomorrow and Friday to play  ;)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9525
    Fuengi said:
    Went for the Fat General as couldn't resist the clearance sale. Ordered on Monday, arriving today. Have two days booked in the office (studio) tomorrow and Friday to play  ;)
    Now THAT’S the way to schedule your work...
    Fuengi said:
    Now THAT’S the way to schedule your work...

Only problem is that I'm out most of today and might miss the UPS Delivery.

Doh!
    By way of update - I am still in shock at how good the Fat General is. 

None of the demos (I and I trawled for many) do it justice - that's not a critique of the demos - I think it's really hard to capture it when so much of the effect is felt under your fingers (ie I know I'm playing let's say inconsistently yet the sound I hear is beautifully regulated) - a demo of a Origin Cali76 or Markbass Compressore is always going to sound more effecty and apparent, because that's what they do, whereas the FG is just a box of genius. Harder to film. 

I'm glad I bought based on trust of Thorpy himself and some of the existing users whose opinions I trust. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Oh and @jonnyscaramanga gave the Peacekeeper an official "fuck yes!" when he tried it into his JCM800  =)
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    By way of update - I am still in shock at how good the Fat General is. 

None of the demos (I and I trawled for many) do it justice - that's not a critique of the demos - I think it's really hard to capture it when so much of the effect is felt under your fingers (ie I know I'm playing let's say inconsistently yet the sound I hear is beautifully regulated) - a demo of a Origin Cali76 or Markbass Compressore is always going to sound more effecty and apparent, because that's what they do, whereas the FG is just a box of genius. Harder to film. 

I'm glad I bought based on trust of Thorpy himself and some of the existing users whose opinions I trust. 

That's my experience too. The video reviews sound a bit meh, but playing the Peacekeeper it brings such clarity that a pedal designed specifically for this is worth the leap of faith.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    mgaw said:

In what sense? The Keeley Pro is an exceptional compressor that does exactly what it says on the tin and will work in a wide variety of situations. I chose it over a couple of Origin Fx pedals simply because it was so accurate - it didn't add or subtract anything, just compressed it, with exceptional control over every aspect but with the nifty ability to set it in auto mode that works exceptionally well.

Many of the glowing reports I read of the Origin comps are, I think, based around what it adds to the sound, a subtle sparkle that's undoubtedly very appealing but is not part of the core functionality of a compressor. Some reviews of the FG I've read lead me to think it might be similar (I haven't tried it). I sold on my Keeley eventually but only because I found another that gave me exactly the sound I wanted and because I didn't require the flexibility of the Keeley.