NPsD - double ThorpyFX joy!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    The Fat General arrived this afternoon - thanks @ThorpyFX for the much faster than anticipated dispatch and delivery updates, top notch like everything else - and had 40 mins to try it out with both my Strat and my Esprit. 

Sounds absolutely fantastic. Just adds clarity and sparkle to everything you play, totally addictive. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    Fuengi said:
    The Fat General arrived this afternoon - thanks @ThorpyFX for the much faster than anticipated dispatch and delivery updates, top notch like everything else - and had 40 mins to try it out with both my Strat and my Esprit. 

Sounds absolutely fantastic. Just adds clarity and sparkle to everything you play, totally addictive. 

Our absolute pleasure, really over the moon that you like it!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17554
    tFB Trader
    Oh balls now I want one
    Oh balls now I want one
    It drives the Peacekeeper quite superbly. The V1 is still available on the clearance sale. 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    JezWynd said:
    mgaw said:

I played it alongside a Keeley pro on Friday evening, the FG is quite significantly better IMO and the opinion of the others there
    In what sense? The Keeley Pro is an exceptional compressor that does exactly what it says on the tin and will work in a wide variety of situations. I chose it over a couple of Origin Fx pedals simply because it was so accurate - it didn't add or subtract anything, just compressed it, with exceptional control over every aspect but with the nifty ability to set it in auto mode that works exceptionally well.

Many of the glowing reports I read of the Origin comps are, I think, based around what it adds to the sound, a subtle sparkle that's undoubtedly very appealing but is not part of the core functionality of a compressor. Some reviews of the FG I've read lead me to think it might be similar (I haven't tried it). I sold on my Keeley eventually but only because I found another that gave me exactly the sound I wanted and because I didn't require the flexibility of the Keeley.
    I just think the FG, as you pointed out, does some sweetening to the tone which I find sublime....that's the only reason:)
  • Feck sake, cut it out you lot, it's all very tempting!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Feck sake, cut it out you lot, it's all very tempting!

I don't see why, it will only make your entire rig sound much better  :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Does it do over the top squishy compression? Gilmourish style. If so, then I'm in. I'm looking for a comp that does that.

I already know it's good at making things sound better and sounding transparent and quiet. If it can do both then it's a versatile beast and I need it!

It has a switch that goes from parallel blend to 90 / 10 wet / dry where the blend knob becomes volume / boost. 

Both modes sound fantastic.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    Does it do over the top squishy compression? Gilmourish style. If so, then I'm in. I'm looking for a comp that does that.

I already know it's good at making things sound better and sounding transparent and quiet. If it can do both then it's a versatile beast and I need it!
    yes it can do both.... plenty of squish on tap if you need it, just not dynacomp levels of deadening on the attack.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ThorpyFX said:
    Does it do over the top squishy compression? Gilmourish style. If so, then I'm in. I'm looking for a comp that does that.

yes it can do both.... plenty of squish on tap if you need it, just not dynacomp levels of deadening on the attack.
    Perfect, mate, was hoping someone would chime in, and who better :-)

It was either yours or the Origin and I'm loathe to go back to that one as I didn't keep the last one I had. You've made a winner there, Adrian, you've got everyone raving about it!

Will order a v2 soon!

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited June 2019
    Hang about...Burgs just mentioned that it's based on the Dinosaural, I didn't know Dan Coggins built that! Nice!

EDIT: Burgs' demo is great, as is Mike Hermans - you can definitely hear how it's making the tone nicer (shit word to use, I know).

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Urge....to purchase....Fat General.....rising.

But I have an optical compressor already (Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone).

• scovell001scovell001 Frets: 60
    It takes ‘a lot’ to impress me, but I have to say the FG is without a doubt one of those pedals that just hits the spot so well. 9 times out of 10 I end up with all dials at noon.

It works brilliantly into the peacekeeper and just levels things in a beautifully transparent way.

my top tip so far is to use it with an acoustic, finger picking you would not believe how good it makes it sound!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3971
    Don't think it's worth making a new thread, but I was no longer able to resist the Fat General while there were still some available in the clearance, no regrets whatsoever. 

Every good thing everyone has said about it is totally true.

I'm considering relabelling the "juicy" mode as "naughty" mode, because it feels like you're cheating somehow.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4178
    It’s a lovely Pedal, compares very nicely with my old big box Cali 76 and that’s praise indeed