Weed & feed for lawn?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
edited May 2019 in Off Topic
Can anyone recommend a lawn weed and feed that works? I have used Westland' All In One last year and this year so far and it feeds OK but it's not killing the weeds and I have a plague of this small yellow flowering stuff that's doing my head in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7336
    difficult one, but I would choose Weed any day...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Use Green Thumb - it's cheaper than buying your own chemicals (well it was for me)

EDIT: Neighbour used them and strongly recommended I do the sums and he was absolutely right - 2 tubs of weed & feed needed for my lawns was circa £40 ISTR, Green Thumb £23
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    I've used lawn sand for many years
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    This year my weed n feed had to be watered in during the very dry spring. If the leaves and soil are not wet after application it doesn't work very well.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Some selective weed killer?

Keeping it nice and short helps too.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    +1 for Green Thumb, cheap, lawn looks great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    WFT is Green Thumb? it sounds like a nasty medical condition....I will look it up!

Just looked up Green Thumb and they don't cover my area. Original question still stands.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    I use this stuff.  You need to be very careful not to overdose it or your grass will turn black in patches.  If you buy the spreader ad go carefully that's not a problem.

https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/product/miracle-gro-evergreen-complete-4-1-28kg-carton

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    If you got weeds the soil could be conpacted. You probably have buttercups.  I'd recommend aerating it as well as using selective weed killer. I used to use Verdone but that no longer exists and I don't know what the best is now.
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    I’d let the bees feed on those yellow flowers first !

I use a springy metal rake to drag out superficial flowers, moss etc 
    That also helps clear some of the dead thatch
    and I overseed with Johnson’s luxury lawn seed and water++

bit more of an effort, but my lawn isn’t that large 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    Barclays is an excellent selective herbicide. Expensive but goes a long way
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    NelsonP said:
    I use this stuff.  You need to be very careful not to overdose it or your grass will turn black in patches.  If you buy the spreader ad go carefully that's not a problem.

https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/product/miracle-gro-evergreen-complete-4-1-28kg-carton

Got some of this Miracle Gro 4-1and put it down a couple of days ago, I'd had a couple of ciders beforehand so appear to have been a bit generous with the distribution and do have a couple blackening patches....ooops!

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4774
    Jalapeno said:
    Use Green Thumb - it's cheaper than buying your own chemicals (well it was for me)

EDIT: Neighbour used them and strongly recommended I do the sums and he was absolutely right - 2 tubs of weed & feed needed for my lawns was circa £40 ISTR, Green Thumb £23
    We used Green Thumb for a couple of years. They're a franchise, I think. Initially, all was well and the ones serving my area  talked about "looking after" your lawn. Yes, it's cheaper than doing it yourself and storing the products, etc. They came and did the scheduled work as they were supposed to do, but never really "looked after" the grass, never proactively highlighted any issues to us (even though we had some). We ended up cancelling and we're back to doing it ourselves. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    Also recommend using lawn sand, (ferrous sulphate) to kill moss and toughen the grass. Spread by granules and water in. Follow up with a scarifier twice a year, once in spring and than agin in late autumn, and also aerate if you can before it gets too hard.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16089
    Reading through all this makes me see why Lazy Lawn and similar have become so successful - only trouble is that it is very expensive to buy and install especially if you have large Lawns
     The cheaper products just don't look as realistic but the "Signature' looks fantastic 365 days a year