Educate me on Jet City

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    Any of you any experience with the UK Jet City online store? How soon do they dispatch from ordering? 
    A few times for me - you'll usually get it 2-3 days afterwards. Order before 11am to make sure it's processed that day, and perhaps call to follow up if you really need it urgently.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    Any of you any experience with the UK Jet City online store? How soon do they dispatch from ordering? 
    A few times for me - you'll usually get it 2-3 days afterwards. Order before 11am to make sure it's processed that day, and perhaps call to follow up if you really need it urgently.
    Might wait until after my holiday then.

Thanks for the info.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    There is a 20W JCA20HV on her for sale with 1x12 Cab not necessarily right for you but a cracking buy!.....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/145863/fs-jet-city-jca20hv-and-matching-1x12-cabinet-200#latest

No connection just a great Amp and Cab at a great price!

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• The crunch sounds from them are really really good. The clean tones are pants. Bleed between the channels means you cannot get a "clean" tone.

Bye!

Came close to ordering a Jet City today. Very close. Still looking for an amp after the disappointment of the faulty Marshall DSL20 I bought last week. But in the end have gone for the new version of the Blackstar HT5 as I spotted one new for £70 off RRP. The HT5 I think will be more suited to my awful home pentatonic noodling than a 20W Jet City.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Grumpyrocker said:But in the end have gone for the new version of the Blackstar HT5 as I spotted one new for £70 off RRP.
    Where... care to share...?

PS - awful home pentatonic noodling is where im at as well ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Grumpyrocker said:But in the end have gone for the new version of the Blackstar HT5 as I spotted one new for £70 off RRP.
    Where... care to share...?

PS - awful home pentatonic noodling is where im at as well ;)
    Absolute Music, they only had one head in stock and I just bought it! Being delivered tomorrow.

If you're after the HT-5 Combo they've got it in stock at £418, the RRP at Andertons is £489. They've also got the new HT-1 and HT-20 below RRP I think. I thought Blackstar was very tight on discounting so I don't know what's going on. 

I've bought from them before, when I lived in Dorchester they were my nearest decent music shop. Now I've moved a few miles west of there they aren't as convenient a drive anymore. But it's a good store, always had good dealings with them.

• HaychHaych Frets: 5616

My only amp at the moment is a JCA50H with a matching 212 cab.  I do really like it although I've never taken it out and really cranked it - I've only ever really used it at home.

I did clip the bright caps as I found the stock config a bit too fizzy in the high end and this has made it sound oodles better.

Also, I find that it can do very good cleans on the crunch channel.  It's never going to be Fender Blackface territory but with a decent reverb pedal in the loop it's still very good.  If I get the chance to play I stay in the cleaner end of the spectrum these days so a good clean tone is important to me and this amp passes the test.

As I don't play much at all these days I have tried to move it on a few times, but they fetch so little second hand that I refuse to give it away for stupid money.  Knowing how life goes I'd sell it for a song and then instantly the opportunity to use it would present itself!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31501
    The crunch sounds from them are really really good. The clean tones are pants. Bleed between the channels means you cannot get a "clean" tone.
    Not my experience at all, and I've had four different models, primarily used clean. 

@Grumpyrocker I've used the Jet City UK store five times and taken delivery within three days every time.

Don't bother pre-ordering out-of-stock items though, that can take months. 
  • p90fool said:
    The crunch sounds from them are really really good. The clean tones are pants. Bleed between the channels means you cannot get a "clean" tone.
    Not my experience at all, and I've had four different models, primarily used clean. 

@Grumpyrocker I've used the Jet City UK store five times and taken delivery within three days every time.

This is based on what I was told by one of their techs. It's the topology of the amps. One of their guys explained it to me when I bought one off eBay from the distributor at the time. It was the JCA100H. If you try to run the clean channel very loud but very clean (volume high, gain low) the crunch channel bleeds through and you get this fuzzy stuff in the background of your clean tone. Kinda ruined it for me; a good clean tone is very important to me.

If you ran the gain higher, then because of the 'on the edge' nature of the amp, it masked the problem. Someone told me the SLO100 suffers the same thing!!

I seem to recall discussing it with @ICBM at the time as well.

Bye!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    WiresDreamDisasters said:

This is based on what I was told by one of their techs. It's the topology of the amps. One of their guys explained it to me when I bought one off eBay from the distributor at the time. It was the JCA100H. If you try to run the clean channel very loud but very clean (volume high, gain low) the crunch channel bleeds through and you get this fuzzy stuff in the background of your clean tone. Kinda ruined it for me; a good clean tone is very important to me.

If you ran the gain higher, then because of the 'on the edge' nature of the amp, it masked the problem. Someone told me the SLO100 suffers the same thing!!

That is correct, but it’s only at the very extreme ends of the control range - you basically need to be going for the loudest possible completely clean sound and the highest-gain overdrive sound at the same time. But I suspect that’s exactly (or close) what you would be doing :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    WiresDreamDisasters said:

That is correct, but it’s only at the very extreme ends of the control range - you basically need to be going for the loudest possible completely clean sound and the highest-gain overdrive sound at the same time. But I suspect that’s exactly (or close) what you would be doing :).
    Yeah it was. Coz otherwise the clean channel wasn't really "clean" it was more like Van Halen to me! lmao.

Bye!

p90fool said:

Ah, fair enough, I have heard it elsewhere, but I only ever ran mine at high volume as a clean pedal platform, probably with the overdrive channel gain and volume off. 

I suspect your style involves a lot more dirt and a lot more clean than mine - when using the amp without pedals I tended to have both channels set at what most would call crunch.

I think it's only an issue on the 6L6 amps though, I'm pretty sure the EL84 amps have a different layout altogether. 

Of course they're so cheap you could buy a pair of JCA100s and run one clean and one dirty, and forget all that channel balancing nonsense.
    :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    p90fool said:

Definitely my experience too. I got my clean tone by running 4CM and putting a fender twin model straight into the FX return to get round it. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • p90fool said:

Of course they're so cheap you could buy a pair of JCA100s and run one clean and one dirty, and forget all that channel balancing nonsense.
    Now yer thinking with yer clogs on!!

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    p90fool said:

And with the benefits of completely separate cabs and desk channels at the PA, making it easy for the soundman to always get the perfect mix on both sounds... hence why it's the pro method even for those who use channel-switching amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That's why I never use channel switching live, the "am I about to disappear in the mix or cut everyone's heads off" button. 
    It's always been a lottery for me, even when we get decent soundchecks. 
  • Honestly I've never struggled with it. I know how to set my stage levels to the point where I can get up and running in 5minutes. Our drummer however.... ,

Bye!

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3059
    I'm still gigging a JCA50H as my main amp. I'm running it through a Marshall 1922 with G12H30s. I've clipped the bright caps and have old RFT ecc83s in it. 

It can do it at low volume levels with a bit of tweaking.. although I never get past 4 on the masters with the band. We played at a football social club on Saturday and I had one of my best sounds ever with this setup. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    FYI, for all - JCA22H for £115 on eBay (new model with the black fascia), collection only in Crawley:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USED-JET-CITY-JCA22H-Soldano-Designed/163586281695?hash=item26168090df:g:xy8AAOSwWiJcgtAJ

That's cheap, even for a Jet City!
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom