Klone recommendations please

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
Need to thicken up my strat tone, preferably so it’s more humbucker-ish.

Im thinking Klone...

Do I go Tumnus, Archer, Soul food or other?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    Frederic fx. Zombie klone or golden eagle. Perfect klone. Uk built. Good value.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    +1, love my zombie.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    Can I ask what’s the difference between the zombie and eagle? Doesn’t explain on the website.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    TINMAN82 said:
    Can I ask what’s the difference between the zombie and eagle? Doesn’t explain on the website.
    It's in the FAQ:

What's the difference between the Zombie Klone and the Golden Eagle?

Both pedals are exactly the same electronically and sound-wise. Following the success of the Zombie Klone we introduced the Golden Eagle due to requests for more traditional artwork

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TINMAN82 said:
    It's in the FAQ:

What's the difference between the Zombie Klone and the Golden Eagle?

Both pedals are exactly the same electronically and sound-wise. Following the success of the Zombie Klone we introduced the Golden Eagle due to requests for more traditional artwork

My bad, thanks
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    I love my Tumnus - it's a great pedal.

The Mosky Golden Horse is worth a look - for £17.98 delivered, a bargain!

R.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
    Have had 3 over the years, two zombie Klones and one golden eagle. Fantastic pedals, and as stated UK made and great value.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    Frederic - excellent. 
    Tumnus - relatively expensive. 
    Mosky - unbelievable for the money. 
    Soul Food - get a  Mosky. 
    KTR - close to the real thing. 
    MXR Sugar Drive - my current favourite. 
    The real thing - still the best by far. 

Yes I own all of them. No I’ve never had a RYRA. Or a Sick As. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    4114FX Mythical Overdrive is ace 
    Red ones are better. 
    Frederic - excellent. 

Tumnus is £15 more than the zombie but in a mini pedal format which would suit my board... any major differences in tone? 
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
    @downbytheriver how close is the mxr sugar drive to the Fredric? I am only running a small board and can’t fit my Fredric golden eagle on it but might be able to squeeze on the mini sugar drive if it’s comparable as I love the Klon ‘thing’
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    If you're considering (relatively) high end, I found the Arc V2 to be very very nice. 

I compared mine to an original Klon using an A/B switch and at one point got the two completely mixed up and didn't notice for ages.
    edited May 2019
    TINMAN82 said:
    Frederic - excellent. 

Tumnus is £15 more than the zombie but in a mini pedal format which would suit my board... any major differences in tone? 
    Hmmm - seems the Tumnus came down in price - if you prefer the mini, go with it - no vast difference.  But if you want a mini, make sure you try the Sugar Drive
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Also consider the Seymour Duncan pickup booster which is precisely for making single coils a bit more humbuckerish 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @downbytheriver how close is the mxr sugar drive to the Fredric? I am only running a small board and can’t fit my Fredric golden eagle on it but might be able to squeeze on the mini sugar drive if it’s comparable as I love the Klon ‘thing’
    Pretty close - let’s face it, all Klones are pretty close! I really like the Sugar Drive - it adds something I can’t quite put my finger on - but that’s what a Klon Centaur does!

I forgot to include the Rockett Archer - another good one.  

TimmyO said:
    Also consider the Seymour Duncan pickup booster which is precisely for making single coils a bit more humbuckerish 
    I agree strongly with this, even though I no longer own one. Another in this vein is the really rather excellent Behringer Preamp Booster. 

TimmyO said:
    I agree strongly with this, even though I no longer own one. Another in this vein is the really rather excellent Behringer Preamp Booster. 
    Not sure it would add much to my EP booster. I guess I like the different (but not tube screamerish) flavour you get from the klon.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    I’ve tried many and the RYRA was the best imho
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    TINMAN82 said:

TimmyO said:
    Not sure it would add much to my EP booster. I guess I like the different (but not tube screamerish) flavour you get from the klon.
    The SD Booster works by changing the resonant peak of the pickup - in more basic terms it simply shunts different values of capacitor across the pickup (in parallel). Has a dramatic effect on Strat S/C especially the bridge position.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    edited May 2019
    Owned and didn’t like the RYRA (muddy) or Frederic FX Zombie. Love and still have the ARC Klone v2 and Pedal Projects.

The Sick As is awesome but not a pure Klone circuit. Shouldn’t have sold that one.