Any tips or advice on alleviating pain?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Since my fall down the stairs on holiday I have an extremely painful coccyx, the doctors at the hospital said there's nothing to be done and that the pain will more than likely take months to alleviate, standing and walking helps but I can't do much of that because of my broken big toe. So, I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and what you did to help alleviate some of the pain? I am already taking morphine for an existing problem but it just doesn't help with the coccyx pain. Any help or advice would be much appreciated, I'm so desperate for help I'm wondering if one of those piles rings would help? Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23925
    When I had my last lot of hernia repairs I used a pile cushion to take the pressure off the groin.

Did seem to help if I got the positioning right.

Don't forget the humble hot bath either - partly for the heat and partly because the water will support your weight and provide relief too.
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    I was going to suggest Nurofen Plus, but as you’re already on morphine that’s a non-starter. You’d also have the side effect of getting rather “blocked up”. 

When end I get a flare up of tendinitis in my knees I find that 3M cold/hot packs help a lot. It’s only a very short term fix, but I find it keeps the madness caused by constant pain at bay, even if it’s only alleviated for 30 mins or so. 

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Thank you for your replies, I've had a look on eBay and have ordered a cushion specially designed to take the weight off of the coccyx, I didn't know they existed until now. Let's hope it does the job.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    I did the same as you nearly three months ago and still have a few quite painful places. It takes time. One thing I have found does help is an anti-inflamatory gel called Piroxicam which was prescribed by my doc. It is rubbed gently into the painful area(s) three times a day and does seem to help.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Jimbro66 said:
    I did the same as you nearly three months ago and still have a few quite painful places. It takes time. One thing I have found does help is an anti-inflamatory gel called Piroxicam which was prescribed by my doc. It is rubbed gently into the painful area(s) three times a day and does seem to help.
    Thank you, I'll ask the doctor about it the next time I see her.
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Volterol Gell works for me. Buy it over the counter at a chemist, and rub in to sore area.

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    I believe our friend @Grunfeld has worked in this area - am I right in that?

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
     No idea....but I’ve had back pain myself so hope you get sorted 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    zepp76 said:
    Thank you for your replies, I've had a look on eBay and have ordered a cushion specially designed to take the weight off of the coccyx, I didn't know they existed until now. Let's hope it does the job.
    I have one of those, seemed to help me after injuring mine somehow, probably football.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Nitefly said:
    I believe our friend @Grunfeld has worked in this area - am I right in that?

Still do! All good advice on here already.  Coccyx pain can be a pest as it happens.  With the NSAID gel it can help if you really give it about two minutes rubbing in and especially last thing at night basically so the .concentration is good and it won’t get rubbed off so much. Also note that it comes in different concentrations and you can sometimes get higher concentrations from Bulgaria and way off places — but always seek the advice of your doctor (or you know, a drummer or something).  And you can use a finger internally to mobilise the coccyx too - a stiff joint is a stiff joint. I have never done that, don’t know anyone who’s done it, and never checked the literature on it but once you hear “stick a finger up the bum and wiggle the coccyx” you don’t forget it. If the pain is really persistent then there are injections/ radio frequency ablation but I have not seen many, wasn’t impressed with the clinical results but also acknowledge I’m not familiar with the literature on it to put that into context. @barry2tone ?any thoughts?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I'd go to local chemist and ask them. Probably know more than a GP.