Yet again, another update, - PSA: New Axe-FX stuff is out

What's Hot

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    i've given up with AE3 and just using the front panel same as I have for the last 3 months..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Something wrong Si - AE3 is faultless for me.  Im using windows not a Mac, but there doesn't seem to be many reports of issues on the Fractal site either.  You seem to have some sort of conflict - but you'd know more about that stuff than me.

I dont use Midi though - and its quite possible theres something there as most will be using cat5 cables with MFCs.  I do seem to remember getting lots of Midi Timeouts when I used my old Rocktron over Midi until Id set up the Midi drivers/settinbgs in AE, though that was in the first version.  Maybe have a look there?  I believe you had to manually set them up (where as the cat5 auto sets up when you install the drivers - dont think Midi auto sets).

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Si_ said:
    i've given up with AE3 and just using the front panel same as I have for the last 3 months..
    Email Fractal support.
    I'm not too bothered if I'm honest.. I don't change my patches very often anymore so using the front isn't a problem.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8591
    OK, I had a few minutes spare today, so against my better judgement I've updated to v11.  Not a lot to write home about.  Some patches are a bit "clearer".  They are also a little louder.  

The Eb detune patch needed some work, probably because the old amp model was hiding digital artifacts.  Maybe I should detune one of my guitars instead.

AE3 look OK, but I didn't find it much use: the front panel is much faster once you've got used to it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There are potential issues with using the front panel though - hardware related.   Encoders are notoriously flaky after time (not just AFX ones).  Ive had two go funny on a G Major, on on my AFX Standard, and I "think" Im starting to get the odd glitch on my AFX2.

Even if they work correctly, getting "exact" values can be annoyingly difficult using the rotary encoders at times.  Dont get me wrong, Ive been an advocate of front panel editing - and have never used AE in the past.  I cant be bothered to boot up the PC when Im just playing for instance, and Im so familiar with the front panel - however, there are benefits.  I may actually use AE3 a lot more for these reasons.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm not very impressed if there are hardware reasons NOT to use the unit it's self to dial things in ,, that's just crazy and badly designed. 

As much as I appreciate the effort Cliff puts into the unit, I do wish they would pause and get a proper fully functional stable release of everything rather than constant beta releases and suspect software releases (that's both the firmware AND AE). It always seems like it's taking a risk installing latest firmwares incase of bugs or issues.

I know they don't work in the same way, but most other companies do a LOT more testing before releasing firmwares and software, if others worked like Fractal people would be up in arms about them. It was something like 5-7 days between AE3 going out to private beta and a public release.. that's just not enough time to fully test, debug, and fix software reliably.

• Its not badly designed - its the nature of encoders.  Even the best available can suffer from issues after some years of use.  Ive seen issues with TC equipment, Eventide, Rocktron, as well as many non musical "electronic Test equipment" costing many times as much as the AFX.  Its just the nature of how encoders work.

Personally I think Fractal do a better job - even with their beta releases - than Microsoft manage with windows.  Hey ho.

Totally disagree..  the number of bugs Microsoft have in their software is a tiny number given the complexity of the software. AE is a simple MIDI interface program with a fancy front end, it wouldn't get out of the Microsoft Alpha stage in it's current incarnation never mind a public release,  it's buggy, half the features missing etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mac user and not a big fan of Windows, butFractal are just amateurs in comparison, and not very good ones at that.

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited September 2013
    Good news, everybody. The new FW is here.
    had my first band session tonight with FW11 and had a few of my patches doing strange things.. especially the reverse delay on my London's Calling patch, the volume went WAY TOO LOUD when engaging the delay so I'll have to investigate that. I also found that some of my patches are now at different volumes which is a pain but fixable (they were all at a level volume before FW11)

I'll likely install 11.01 and try fixing things then. 
  • REF the delay - the way the delay is mixed has changed in v11.  Before it faded the wet in from 0% to 100% keeping the dry constant.  Now the wet says 100% until the 50% mix mar then fades out.  The Dry fades IN from 50% to 100% at the 50% mix mark.

This means any old setting below 50% will have a stronger delay mix, while anything above 50% will have a stronger dry mix.  Its been done (apparently) so you dont have to compensate on the levels (ie set to 0db will be same vol out as in - before you had to raise it slightly), but it has messed the mix's.

As a guide, my Delay mix's were set around 17.5% - Ive had to reduce them to around 12%.

I'll try that, thanks
    edited September 2013
    REF the delay - the way the delay is mixed has changed in v11.  Before it faded the wet in from 0% to 100% keeping the dry constant.  Now the wet says 100% until the 50% mix mar then fades out.  The Dry fades IN from 50% to 100% at the 50% mix mark.

This means any old setting below 50% will have a stronger delay mix, while anything above 50% will have a stronger dry mix.  Its been done (apparently) so you dont have to compensate on the levels (ie set to 0db will be same vol out as in - before you had to raise it slightly), but it has messed the mix's.

As a guide, my Delay mix's were set around 17.5% - Ive had to reduce them to around 12%.

One further thing to this- also look out your block output volume for in line effects if, like me, you've been boosting it by 1-2 db so that when a block is engaged (such as a delay) the input volume wouldn't be reduced.
    The update in V11 outlined by mapps above fixed that issue so the workaround is no longer required.
    I found it more noticeable in the delay, chorus and looper blocks.

Speaking more generally, the updates are so nuanced now that I think people need to be reading the release notes extensively.

I never read release notes 
    Si_ said:
    I never read release notes 
    Yes, I was fairly sure you didn't. ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    Y'see. People not RTFI is why people think that modellers are so difficult. Dr Oct, wisdom duly awarded.
    AE3 seems to work better since I've updated to 11.01
  • Another long shot but have you tried the 'clean-system-v11.syx'?
    edited September 2013
    Good news everyone, FW 11.02 is out.

Added Overdrive control to TX Star Lead model. Fixed wrong cutoff frequency. 

Fixed wrong tone-stack type in Jazz 120 model. Added correct “Jazz 120” tone-stack type to available selections.