Reliced Guitars - WTF

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    Fuengi said:

A good guitar, like the quality materials it is made from, improves with age.
    I don't believe there is any evidence for that beyond the wood on acoustics and semi-acoustics becoming better at vibrating.
    AFAIK the jury is out on that for solid-body guitars

What I do agree is that, over 30 years, a pro-quality instrument will often have had all its defects fixed by decent repairmen over time, and thus be more playable than a brand-new one out of the box that has not had a pro set up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader

However, to me artificially-aged guitars are the same as ripped jeans - a bit of a poseur thing. 
    Christ on a bike.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    I hate ripped jeans. The Mrs spent a fortune on a pear of ripped jeans and whenever I try and make the rip a bit wider (going “but it’s relic jeansssss”) she goes ballistic. But I like relic guitars. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Has anyone mentioned trainers yet?

I knew a lot of people growing up who hated brand spanking new trainers because they looked “too new”. 

The worn in but not disheveled look was definitely much preferred.  

Converse(ly) (see what I did there?) I try to keep my car looking as good and as mint as possible. It’s 15 years old now so it’s a challenge but I can’t imagine anyone desiring deliberate stone chips, bumper scuffs and car park dents to give it an aged look.  

Like I said before, if done well and not overdone the relic guitar thing looks ok to me. I’ve never bought one but I can see the appeal. I also think sparkly brand new guitars look great too - I’ve bought a few of those ;)

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    Haych said:
    Has anyone mentioned trainers yet?

I knew a lot of people growing up who hated brand spanking new trainers because they looked “too new”. 

Interesting thought - Years ago I wore Kickers - Must have worn them for 20 years or so - I'd have 3 on the go - The brand new pair that needed breaking in - Especially in white as they looked to new - The go to pair with some natural wear that are probably now 6-12 months old - The final pair are probably 2/3 years old and are close to needing to be replaced

I'm still like this with trainers - I hate the look of new trainers just purchased for the summer holiday - My trainers for 5 a side are close to wrecked, but feel like carpet slippers 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The thing that gets me - and I do understand the basic reason for it, that you're paying for the work involved - and aside from any arguments about how real it looks or whether it's just a "finish option" - is that fake wear is worth more than real wear.

If you take a new-condition vintage reissue, use it for a few years so it has natural playing wear, then try to sell it, it will be worth less than the same guitar in unused condition. But if it's a 'relic', it will cost more, both new and used. The concept of the fake being worth more than the genuine is so counterintuitive I find it one of those things I just can't quite get my head around... saying BUT IT IS just doesn't quite make sense, like one of those baffling optical illusions that you just can't make sense of, or trying to understand quantum mechanics.

Surely if wear is desirable, then the genuinely worn guitar should be worth at least as much as the faked one?

Particularly when you do consider how fake most relics do look, when you're familiar with genuine old guitars. Or is it because people are now so used to the fakes, that the real ones no longer look 'right' to them? In which case we truly aren't in Kansas any more...

I'll be honest and say that most of the good relics I've played have been really nice guitars - more so the 'light' ones than the 'heavy' ones - and I would consider owning one if I came across one I really wanted... but I would never buy a new one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    edited May 2019
    Very valid point you make @ICBM!

Likewise, when people selling gear describe the item as “never gigged” so as to make it more desirable and maybe realise a better price....... if the relic thing is genuinely desired then well gigged instruments should be equally as desirable and valuable. 

I guess thats the same same thing as what you just said though in a roundabout way. confounded 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    This thread reminds me of my dad looking at a Picasso painting
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 849
    I had played a few relics but never considered buying one. Then a couple of years ago I agreed to do a px with a roadworn strat coming my way, figuring I'd play it a bit and then probably sell it on.
    The neck on this thing feels amazing and as people have stated before, like it has been played for years. It's still here a couple of years later. Still got to admit that the ageing doesn't make me go woohoo, but when I'm playing it I don't need to look at it.
    My ten year old 52ri Tele has started to age a little with the finish wearing through where my arm sits and the neck getting slicker. Hopefully after another decade of gigs (or sooner), the neck will feel like the roadworn.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    axisus said:
    This thread reminds me of my dad looking at a Picasso painting
    Exactly. Oh. And my Dad’s bigger than your Dad by the way.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059

However, to me artificially-aged guitars are the same as ripped jeans - a bit of a poseur thing. 
    Christ on a bike.... 
    Has he got a dog in this fight too?
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    I can't wait for reliced cars
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    The thing that gets me - and I do understand the basic reason for it, that you're paying for the work involved - and aside from any arguments about how real it looks or whether it's just a "finish option" - is that fake wear is worth more than real wear.

If you take a new-condition vintage reissue, use it for a few years so it has natural playing wear, then try to sell it, it will be worth less than the same guitar in unused condition. But if it's a 'relic', it will cost more, both new and used. The concept of the fake being worth more than the genuine is so counterintuitive I find it one of those things I just can't quite get my head around... saying BUT IT IS just doesn't quite make sense, like one of those baffling optical illusions that you just can't make sense of, or trying to understand quantum mechanics.

Surely if wear is desirable, then the genuinely worn guitar should be worth at least as much as the faked one?

Particularly when you do consider how fake most relics do look, when you're familiar with genuine old guitars. Or is it because people are now so used to the fakes, that the real ones no longer look 'right' to them? In which case we truly aren't in Kansas any more...

I'll be honest and say that most of the good relics I've played have been really nice guitars - more so the 'light' ones than the 'heavy' ones - and I would consider owning one if I came across one I really wanted... but I would never buy a new one.
    Naturally worn guitars are worn in places you don't want them to be worn (frets).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Another ridiculous comparison. I love hot rods and rat rods.

That makes me no more a poser than the dentist driving his new shiny Mercedes with a PRS in the boot ;)
  • 30hertz30hertz Frets: 41

Each to their own, I say. If you want a relic guitar/bass then go for it. If you don't, errm, don't. To my mind, they only become a bad thing if people try passing them off as actually the real genuine article rather than just looking like one.
    The only relics I actively pooh-pooh are poorly executed ones -- you know, when it's obvious that all it's had is 5 minutes with a belt sander and a few deliberate fag burns.

I'd love a YOB candy-apple red Fender Jazz, but I don't have the c.£10,000 I'd need for a decent '65. I would quite happily have a light-relic reproduction of one though.

I'm not some sort of drug-taking alcoholic git.
    I'm just a git.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Mark1960 said:
    1: It's just another finish option. No need to rant about it. If you can scroll past the lime green guitars then you can scroll past the relics.

2: It takes a lot of hand work to do it properly. Sandberg (IMHO the most realistic) state their highest relic levels can take another week or 2 of work. that costs money.

3: Why do you let it bother you? It's like being bothered that your best mate is shagging someone you don't fancy! It's pointless.
    It doesn't bother me per say - I just don't understand the attraction, hence the request to be "educated", and I must confess I am starting to kinda see what people find appealing. I just don't feel that way myself. As somebody posted earlier - Horses for courses.
    Just re reading your opening post.

So, you want those who like them to appease you? Would you like some milk and cookies too? Slippers and a newspaper? 

Deary me my friend, if you don’t like aged things...  don’t bother with them. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    I've seen a few 'old cars' now listed for sale. or on hot rod shows like Fast n Loud, whereby the 'loose rust/debris' has been rubbed off, then a new clear top coat finish added so it retains that 'barn find' but the finish will no longer decline any further - Have seen a late 50's VW Beatle in a car park recently, that had been restored, but retained that old vibe finish underneath a new top coat - Apparently the 'in thing' on pick-up truck style restorations as well
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    You can get 'wraps' that make your car look like it's all rusty and old.
  • 30hertz30hertz Frets: 41
     Creed_Clicks said:

Like this, you mean? =)  Rat rods are cool AF. 

I'm not some sort of drug-taking alcoholic git.
    I'm just a git.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    30hertz said:
     Creed_Clicks said:

Like this, you mean? =)  Rat rods are cool AF. 

Steering's not too cracky though, he's nearly through that wall.