Going on tour. Tiny car. Need good, clean stage volume. Advise me please!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited May 2019
    Will there be the possibility to borrow another amp at the gigs? To augment your 'known' small amp rather than replace.

I've used this method with a small Laney VC15, a small pedalboard with a stereo delay pedal at the end and an Orchid transformer isolator to avoid ground loop problems. Has worked very well pairing up with, for example, a transistor Orange 'Crush' of some form, the Orange dialled in just enough to add any necessary extra 'weight' and volume over the small Laney.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Peavey Bandit?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 234
    ICBM said:
    JamesSGBrown said:

Some 5 door Alfa Romero. Drummers car. I know bigger all about cars
    You’re going to tour for 8 weeks in an Alfa?! Do you have full AA/RAC cover including supplying a suitable replacement vehicle? If not then fitting all the gear in it may be the least of your worries...

Maybe ‘tour’ is stretching it... it’s a few dates
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think the Groove Tubed Soul-O I tried is fantastic so will probs go with it. What tubes would give me the highest headroom? 6L6?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    edited May 2019
    I'd probably just get a Peavey Bandit and sell on again after the tour. Dirt cheap and actually sound good. Either with pedals or the built in drive channel is surprisingly usable.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    ICBM said:
    JamesSGBrown said:

You’re going to tour for 8 weeks in an Alfa?! Do you have full AA/RAC cover including supplying a suitable replacement vehicle? If not then fitting all the gear in it may be the least of your worries...

Yeah, getting an amp to fit is the least of your worries. 
  • You need a Quilter.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    A Quilter or an Orange Crush combo
    hywelg said:
    ICBM said:
    JamesSGBrown said:

Yeah, getting an amp to fit is the least of your worries. 
    With all due respect guys, I asked about amps, not touring advice. I play in a signed band and have toured internationally for a few years, so I'm not exactly inexperienced in the matter.
    You need a Quilter.
    This would be perfect but they seem quite expensive new and don't often crop up used :(
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Jet City Custom 22 - £259
    Jet City JCA12S+ - £118

Job jobbed.
    <space for hire>
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Fender Pro Junior.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31533
    I'm a big fan of a lot of the amps suggested on here, but in a power trio relying on headroom for pedals?

Not for me, not a chance. It might sound great at home and even in rehearsals, but I've found myself on stages with a tiny, boxy sound in that kind of band, wishing I'd just brought a decent amp.

I've played to thousands with 20w combos with no issue, but not in a guitar/bass/drums lineup. You're not there to cut through a busy mix, you ARE the mix, it's got to have everything going on from top to bottom.  
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1555
    Buy a new car...there’s a useful thread on here on just that topic  ;)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    p90fool said:
    I'm a big fan of a lot of the amps suggested on here, but in a power trio relying on headroom for pedals?

Not for me, not a chance. It might sound great at home and even in rehearsals, but I've found myself on stages with a tiny, boxy sound in that kind of band, wishing I'd just brought a decent amp.

I've played to thousands with 20w combos with no issue, but not in a guitar/bass/drums lineup. You're not there to cut through a busy mix, you ARE the mix, it's got to have everything going on from top to bottom.  
    It can be done with the Jet City 20W amps - I've done it, and it sounds great.

However, for something a bit beefier, one of the Victory 50W lunchbox amps would also do the trick nicely.
    <space for hire>
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31533
    p90fool said:

It can be done with the Jet City 20W amps - I've done it, and it sounds great.

Me too, but not in a 1x10 combo. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I’ve got an Orange Crush 60W for sale (not currently in the classifieds). Not sure it would be loud enough but feel free to PM me if interested.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    p90fool said:

Yeah this is the issue. Any compromise is going to be reeeaaal obvious :(
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Bandit