Marshall bluesbreaker HW not right...

billandobillando Frets: 26
I have had a bluesbreaker reissue for a few years and have gigged a few times with it. Sounds good, i have to attenuate a little but not much. I decided to go for the HW version thinking it would blow me away....unfortunately i was instantly disappointed with it. Just seemed far more bassy than the reissue and didn't have the same "roar"...This wasn't a new purchase but came as "B" stock advertised "as new". I haven't had the amp checked out yet but surely this isn't right for an amp twice the price as the reissue with KT66s in it. I haven't checked the valves yet but will this weekend. The HW doesn't sound the same as the ones on youtube.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    Just because something is expensive does not mean it is better.

Are the circuits the same?

Hopefully there is something wrong with the amp
  • billandobillando Frets: 26

no but twice the price it shouldn't be worse....

the speakers, valves and transistor are different i believe. Ill have a tech check it out.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    What speakers does it have?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    Is not the reissue more of a jmp 50 circuit, so it would have a tighter bottom end, and the handwired is the correct jtm45 circuit ie loose bottom end.
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Always thought you would pay more for a tight bottom end :)
  • billandobillando Frets: 26
    Na the reissue has not got a tight bottom end. It has g12m25 greenbacks. The HW comes with G12C greenbacks. Both the reissue and the HW are same wattage (i believe 30W being jtm45 combo), the reissue came with 5881s but at last service i got 6L6s installed. The HW has KT66s...the HW has larger dimensions....
    The reissue is an accurate original circuit, from memory.

The main difference may be the cabinet size.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    Is not the filtering different?  50uf as opposed to 32uf going from memory here.
    If anything that would make the reissue bassier.

• Before anything else - have you got access to a treble booster? Rangemaster, beano boost or the like.

Bassy, loose bottom, lacking roar even I’d say a bit flubby is how jtm45s can be a bit when they’re turned up. Beautiful clean, but need a bit of a kick on the top end to get them really going.