Amp on standby all night long

What's Hot
bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 390
Hi folks,
so this is the second time I’ve done this in as many weeks . First time amp was left on for approx 12 hours and this time about 20 hours. All seems fine but anything I should get checked out or be worried about? Amp in question is a bandmaster reverb head.
cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It's not good for the valves really, but if it didn't catch fire there shouldn't be any other problem!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 390
    Cheers icbm. No flames. It was nicely warmed up for me when I got in tonight though.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    Cheers icbm. No flames. It was nicely warmed up for me when I got in tonight though.
    I once left a 60s Vox AC4 on for about a week - not on standby since they don't have one, but they also don't have a pilot light, which explains why! It did it no harm. Although I did later fit it with a light...

In fact, I would regard any amp that cannot be left on indefinitely as poorly designed - they should always reach a stable temperature and simply sit there being a room heater. There are some that can't though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    I saw an interview where EVH said while working with fender he'd get an amp turn it on full and leave it weeks squealing away to see how much punishment it could take !
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591

"In fact, I would regard any amp that cannot be left on indefinitely as poorly designed - they should always reach a stable temperature and simply sit there being a room heater. There are some that can't though. "

Quite so. "We" once had an Artisan 30 combo sent back because the customer said the top panel* got too hot. I left it one all day and it stabilized to about 40C iirc. Now that is quite hot but won't injure you unless you have the skin of a one year old and hold it there for half a minute.  I also pulled the chassis and checked all the volts and currents, well in specc'. We concluded that the punter was not used to "class A" 30 watt valve amps!

In another test a couple of years later a Stage 60 combo was "sealed up" wanted to know just how hot it would get. Surprised to find only about 5 degrees above its normal working temperature and perfectly safe. The theory was that 12" speaker cones are not good heat insulators!

Idea for the OP? Time switch and take more water with it!

ANOTHER reason for you to dislike them IC!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

BTW, this thread is about amps in UK? Don't forget they should still be safe where the ambient temperatures can reach 35C or more?  Add as well that other lands have VERY much less control over mains voltage? Mexico was a problem.

Dave.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    Phew! Thank you for releasing me from my previous stupid amp guilt.
    Having previously left Marshall DSL 401's & Laney TT 20's switched on (not on standby) for well over 24 hours (that's all I'm admitting to) I am pleased to report that... nothing happened.

Phew! Thank you for releasing me from my previous stupid amp guilt.
    Having previously left Marshall DSL 401's & Laney TT 20's switched on (not on standby) for well over 24 hours (that's all I'm admitting to) I am pleased to report that... nothing happened.

Glad to hear your amp was fine too. Also glad to hear that I’m not the only empty head around here!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    Never said I was an 'empty head'   :)
    At the time, I was 'otherwise engaged'  cough, cough  ;)
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    edited May 2019
     Not guitar related but amps always worry me.. 

I used to run a fairly big car audio system. 

I had 2x Genesis dual mono's (made by a wizard of a bloke in southend) powering my 4 door speakers, and fuck me you could have fried an egg on them! 

He used to make a monster of an amp, I forget its exact name but it wasnt cheap nor a common model! 
    Anyway when I visited his workshop one time he was telling me he'd often just power one up to keep the office warm in the winter months... 

Though my Onkyo A/v receiver also gets bloody hot even on standby. Its lasted a good 8 years but damn, you can hold your hand on the grille for a hot minute but it isnt exactly comfortable! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Unless it's faulty or not ventilated properly it should just get to working temperature and stay like that. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Well, hi-fi kit is generally intended to be left on permanently.
    prowla said:
    Well, hi-fi kit is generally intended to be left on permanently.

Only by the audiophool, Russ Andrews brigade. Assuming a hi fi amp starts up at 20C there is absolutely no engineering reason why it should not perform to specification after at most a minute and for most designs and applications, two seconds.

The one minute window is to allow the bias to stabilize for class B output stage designs. One second is plenty for the ever increasingly used class D but another second will probably needed for the DC protection relay to clunk in.

Dave.

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    Theres a video where they fry and egg on top of a Grandmiester as the cases get so hot... Great amps. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e4MrrDsWiQ

Jetfire said:
    Theres a video where they fry and egg on top of a Grandmiester as the cases get so hot... Great amps. 

Er... no. Not great amps. They're overly complex, not especially reliable and difficult to repair anyway, but if they get that hot it will just increase the failure rate.

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    I leave mine on when the red wine kicks in and I need to get hosizontal right quick.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've done this a couple of times recently too. Obviously not getting used to having real amps again after having flashing Kemper lights for so long!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    robgilmo said:
    I leave mine on when the red wine kicks in and I need to get hosizontal right quick.
    This has been my problem too!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    ICBM said:
    Jetfire said:

Er... no. Not great amps. They're overly complex, not especially reliable and difficult to repair anyway, but if they get that hot it will just increase the failure rate.
    To be fair, they’re ok to work on once you scrape all the egg off the valves. 

I know solid states are different, but I realised yesterday morning that I’d left my Boss amp on since Thursday. It wasn’t even warm! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I mate of mine had a flatmate that permanently on standby in the house because switching it on and off was supposed to  shorten to life of the valves