Blues Jnr IV - headroom and effects

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
edited June 2019 in Amps
I’ve been using the newest model of Blues Jnr for about 4 months now, no gigging, just playing at home, and I’ve been mostly pleased with it. I have noticed one thing, though. When I dial in a bigger reverb sound on the Flint on a higher mix (80s Hall usually) there is an unwelcome mid-heavy droning sound. In fact, generally with more complex, dense effects, it sounds like the speaker can’t cope without flubbing out, even when I dial the mix down. It makes playing using more atmospheric, delay/reverb sounds more problematic. I don’t know if it’s an issue with the headroom of the amp (it’s not the Flint, I’m sure) and that having something more powerful with more headroom, or even a different speaker, would help. Anyone else experienced this? I know previous versions of the Blues Jnr were regarded as boxy-sounding, but suggestion was that the IV had improved this.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited May 2019
    TL;DR try running the effects through another amp or amp sim on your computer to see if you still get the mid range throbbing/droning :-)

@icbm would probably be most in the know regarding the blues junior models and impacts of cabinetry. Maybe something about those reverbs is making the BJ resonate and not in a good way.

For my own two penneth’s worth, if I’m just playing at home and want lots of stereo effects then I’ll just rig the effects up with my computer sound card and monitors with decent IRs or amp sims for wet effects channels. Monitors seem to be more capable for keeping all the effects frequencies in order than guitar cabs.

Then I can either just use a dry amp in the room or an amp sim balanced centre for the guitar itself.

If I don’t want to use the computer then I also have a pair of old solid state 1x12 combos and run them in stereo. They have big enough cabinets that I don’t struggle with too much midrange from them.

The problem I find with smaller amps, 1x10 or below is that they just tend to be in smaller boxier cabinets that have a mid range honk that I can’t stand.

If anyone has found a good one or tips to avoid the honk I’d love to know :-)
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2208
    edited May 2019
    Thanks @FreddieVanHalen, really helpful. I don’t think I have the budget for a second amp or an amp modeller, though.
  • FreddieVanHalenFreddieVanHalen Frets: 954
    edited May 2019
    Do you have a computer and monitors?
    If you’re just putting your post preamp/fx loop effects through there then you don’t necessarily need high end amp sims ‘cause you can still use the BJ as an amp in the room for your front end sound ....

Edit: you can also get decent second hand Peavey and Marshall solid state amps for about 75 to 100 quid, so pretty cheap compared to the pedals :-)

edit 2: of course, you may not wish to participate in this kind of faffery and just get a single amp that doesn’t resonate or flub...never had a Blues Junior though so cant help you troubleshoot it I’m afraid
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Running it at 240V, fitting a better speaker and putting it in a better cabinet all help - in that order of both cost, difficulty and effectiveness - but fundamentally it's just quite a congested-sounding amp. I haven't tried running a reverb pedal into one but it doesn't surprise me if it sounds like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Running it at 240V, fitting a better speaker and putting it in a better cabinet all help - in that order of both cost, difficulty and effectiveness - but fundamentally it's just quite a congested-sounding amp. I haven't tried running a reverb pedal into one but it doesn't surprise me if it sounds like that.
    Sounds like it would be cheaper getting a different amp. Any recommendations? Looking for clear, articulate, non-congested.
    Blues Deluxe.

Princeton Reverb.

Peavey Bandit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Those  ^^^^ or a  Pro Junior
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

ICBM said:
    Blues Deluxe.

Princeton Reverb.

Peavey Bandit.

I did borrow a Blues Junior for a with and tried it with my Princeton and there was a massive difference in clarity, although the BJ is a much cheaper amp I was still surprised the difference was do marked.  The irony is they probably don't cost much different to make.

The Blues Deluxe is a bigger better amp so the improvement was more expected, other than weight I can't really see a reason not to have a BD over a BJ, as the cost difference 2nd hand is so small.
    edited June 2019
    Resurrecting this thread. I’m not sure if it’s the Flint or the amp (or the guitar) but on plate and hall settings, even with the mix at 12.30, tone dialled to noon, decay at 3 o’clock, even at a reasonable volume I’m still getting that honky mids drone. It shouldn’t happen, should it, or is it that I’m dialling it in wrong? 
    Honky mids is just a characteristic of the Blues Junior with the stock cabinet.