Gin

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
I never thought I would but I have. Just on the London Dry gear right now but haven't had a beer in a month. With a goldfish bowl glass, lime tonic, some ice and a slice of lime and orange I think I'm the bollocks, if a little "going the other way". 

I haven't become a nerd yet but I think it's coming.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Lidls' Rhubarb and Ginger (IIRC) gin is very nice indeed. As is my wifes homemade damson gin, but its not really gin is it.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Is that the 20% stuff mate? I like it but it doesn't get you pissed. Which is important.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    Rough up a bay leaf, add slices of blood grapefruit, and a little lemon balm if you have some in the garden, good tonic, good gin, and ice....yum!

having a dry year, but do miss a nice G&T in the garden on a lovely summers eve. 
    Blimey, that sounds good. Fresh bay leaf? And what in heaven's name is lemon balm?? 

Fair play to you bud but it's my new weekend pleasure. I love it!
  • 50ml good dry gin - tanquaray is good, but gordans will do for sure. To be a gin, it needs to taste of juniper.

25ml lime juice

15ml simple syrup

Shake over ice, double strain into chilled coupe. Garnish with one droplet of peychauds bitters, float a thin slice of lime. 

Perfect. 
    Lol. Now I'm definitely lost! 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    I was a lifelong scotch drinker (well, I say lifelong, probably didn't start drinking till I was 10 or 11) but Mrs F has finally turned me into a gin drinker. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Deadman said:
    Blimey, that sounds good. Fresh bay leaf? And what in heaven's name is lemon balm?? 

Fair play to you bud but it's my new weekend pleasure. I love it!
    Lemon balm is a herb. It’s got quite broad leafed, and has a beautiful lemon scent when crushed, also delicious in stews and sauces. 
    Love it in gin. 
    You can just get a veg peeler and slice an inch long length of lemon peel, and throw that in the gin, worst just as well :)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Gin, Tonic, Slice of lemon peel.

simple.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Works well doesn't it Vim? I like a scotch too but can't stay on it all night like I can with gin.

Thanks fellow Damned fan Marlin. It sounds a bit of a mess on to me and I'm extremely lazy. I will look at popping it into my garden though only because I know you have great musicsl taste.

simple.
    Like a Tele straight into a valve amp Ray.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    I am quite partial to a G&T too.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Hated gin for 39 years, and now I am quite partial to it. Gordon’s and the like are akin to painstripper, but there are some nice ones... Sipsmith, GinStr, The Botanist, Monkey 47, Alkkemist are all rather pleasant indeed. Tonic of choice is Fevertree elderflower. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8789
    Keep mine in the freezer ;) 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2040
    Love it. Try Brockmans
    edited May 2019
    Deadman said:
    Works well doesn't it Vim? I like a scotch too but can't stay on it all night like I can with gin.

Thanks fellow Damned fan Marlin. It sounds a bit of a mess on to me and I'm extremely lazy. I will look at popping it into my garden though only because I know you have great musicsl taste.
    Big Damned fan, seen them over 80 times. Huge fan of Sensibles guitar work.  Delighted to hear there are a few of us here. 
    For anyone who has never seen them live, they’re incredible these days, very tight, really on the ball. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    Deadman said:

simple.
    If you got good gin, I like it simple.  I don't pay £40 for a bottle and mix a lot of stuff into it and change it's flavour.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Deadman said:

simple.
    If you got good gin, I like it simple.  I don't pay £40 for a bottle and mix a lot of stuff into it and change it's flavour.

I actually find I can taste gin much better through a good cocktail than a g+t, which overwhelms me with quinine. Maybe I'm sensitive. 

I do love a g+t but tend to use cheaper gins for it. The nice ones are for martinis and cocktails :) 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    edited May 2019
    Get the Ginventory app on your phone and it tells you which garnish/tonic to use with each gin. 

I've usually got about 5 or 6 different bottles on the go at any one time in my house.

And as The Damned are getting mentioned, have to say Machine Gun Etiquette is possibly the perfect album, with an amazing running order.

Since Paul is back on bass duties these days, things have got even better!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    Malfy grapefruit gin, goldfish bowl full of ice, slice of lime, peppercorns..... slurp!
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024