Who’s listening to records (vinyl) tonight?

What's Hot
TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7828
edited May 2019 in Off Topic
As I get older, I watch less and less TV, and listen to more music. Though, music has always massively important to me.

I’ve been dusting down my LP’s lately, and really enjoying them. Bought lots more in the last few months. 

So far this evening, I’ve played:  

Jah Wobble - Take me to God
Joanna Newsom: Divers
Sparks: Kimono my house
Sparks: Hippopotamus 
Icicle Works: Blind

Got some Gaye Bikers on Acid lined up for later, followed up with Television, Mercury Rev, and Oh Sees. 

What are are you listening to?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10683
    Just paid for my cartridge repair today so should be spinning again next weekend. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7828
    viz said:
    Just paid for my cartridge repair today so should be spinning again next weekend. 
    What are you using? 

I swap between Nagaoka MP200, and Ortofon 2M Blue. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Spun Sleep’s The Sciences while doing the washing up
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    I don't bother with tv much either.  Tonight I've played the Yes Album, a Juicy Lucy album and Grace Jones "Nightclubbing", gotta have some Sly and Robbie !  Last night I played the Grand Funk debut album and Sheffield Steel by Joe Cocker.  Love my music and my HiFi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    I remember rushing home from work a bit early to watch the Icicle Works on the Tube. Great band, top stuff.
    Zoolooter said:
    I remember rushing home from work a bit early to watch the Icicle Works on the Tube. Great band, top stuff.
    They were awesome live. McNabb sold his Gretsch White Falcon on eBay a year or two ago. Kicked myself for not bidding on it. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2934
    Yup. TV lost all interest for me years ago. Music is the entertainment of choice, and I bought an ARB turntable a few months back which is brilliant. To be honest mostly listening to folk music at the moment as I'm trying to train my ears, maybe get back out playing live again.

....but last night I did the Flying teapot trilogy back to back. Up in the sky, what do you see? From outer space, a cup of tea.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I kept my 1000+ vinyl collection when everyone else was ditching theirs, but sadly no viable player for about 20 years. I have one in the loft but no room for it in the house.

My dream is to one day have a man-cave with records, turntable, many books, mac computer, instruments etc. Not sure it will ever happen ....
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Adore Joanna Newsom, must get some of her vinyl. 

Have not had Lost in the Dream by The War on Drugs off the turntable for a couple of weeks, superb album. 

Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints is gorgeous to stick on now and then. 

The Race For Space by Public Service Broadcasting is very popular in our house too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    I agree with the more music less TV sentiment

However, just to offer an alternative perspective, I'll tell you that I hated turntables even before CDs were invented. Horrible crackly noises all the time ;-)  I use to tape my LPs on the best tape deck I could afford, and listen to the tapes - to avoid the crackles. Probably there is a way to avoid crackles now??
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10683
    TheMarlin said:
    viz said:
    What are you using? 

One of them Koetsu rosewood platinum jobbies
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    TheMarlin said:
    viz said:
    What are you using? 

One of them Koetsu rosewood platinum jobbies
    Nice. I’ve had one back in the 90’s, plus some lovely Lyra MC carts - but stupidly sold it all when we were moving house. I’m still building my system back up, but it sounds ‘good enough’ for now...
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Not tonight but listens to Lou Reed Berlin album the other day. Sad Song always sounds glorious.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Played Joshua Tree tonight.
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    My most recent buy is Ian Dury, New Boots and Panties. I try hard not to purchase the soundtrack of my youth and concentrate on new music, but it is very difficult!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    kaypeejay said:
    My most recent buy is Ian Dury, New Boots and Panties. I try hard not to purchase the soundtrack of my youth and concentrate on new music, but it is very difficult!
    One of my favourite albums of all time. 
    Played Def Leppard and Judas Priest tonight, not played them for yonks !  Think it will be yonks before I play them again !
    A far more enjoyable play was Man " Be good to yourself at least once a day " (the one with the fold out map of Wales).
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    When CDs came out, the first ones sounded a bit lifeless

Then they started to master for CD, and the LPs sounded lifeless

How many LPs sold now have been mastered specifically for LP (i.e. mastered from scratch again, or even a multi-band  compressor applied)?
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Quite a few, as it happens - the trick is knowing which ones