diagnose my amp (please!)

bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
Hi all, my Cornell Romany plus is having a bit of a problem. When I turn it on, very often all I can hear through it when I play a note is what I can only think to describe as the reverb of the note. The note is extremely quiet and echoey. If I hit the strings hard it may bring the note to proper amplification momentarily, but that then cuts out and I'm left with the reverb portion. When the amp has been on for half an hour or so it sometimes starts behaving itself and it sounds as it should. If after working properly I turn it off and then back on immediately it usually works properly still. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Obvious question but have you tried a different lead? Or some switch cleaner in the jack sockets of both guitar/amp?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Sounds like a fault in the reverb mixer section which is stopping the dry signal getting through. I don’t know anything about how the reverb is done in that amp, but if it’s like a Fender then it will be something like a broken solder joint rather than a valve.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    As IC says, it sounds like you are losing the dry portion of the signal. When the fault is occurring, what happens when you turn the reverb fully down, do you lose the signal all together? 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395
    That sounds like a bad joint to me .... basically a bad joint can act like a semiconductor ... open circuit until you hit the strings really hard and generate enough voltage for the bad joint to conduct. Then it stops conducting again. 

If it's got an effects loop like the custom has then put a lead between the send and return and see if anything changes
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
    thanks chaps, tried with reverb all the way down and problem persists, likewise with different lead and cleaner. I've been in touch with Dennis Cornell and he said if I post it to him he'll take a look, doesn't seem like the kind of thing I should try to tackle myself.