Gibson Amp

What's Hot
koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/very-rare-1964-gibson-titan-medalist-all-valve-65w-guitar-combo-with-tremolo-/1341015293
Seen this for sale and was intrigued, so thought I would post it up here. be interested in amp builders thoughts on safety of some of these old designs. @ICBM ;
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I like the wee prop stand.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    11 valves!?!??!!! It'll cost nearly as much to revalve it as a buy it!
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    That looks way cool but somewhat impractical!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Vintage Gibson amps like this - apart from the basic models like the Les Paul Junior Amp and the GA-40 etc - were generally expensive, complex, heavy and relatively fragile... so although they sound very good, and arguably more 'interesting' than Fenders, they were trounced in the market by Fender's cheaper, simpler, robust, and lighter - as well as almost always louder - amps, as well as to some extent Ampeg.

The large valve count isn't the problem though, valves back then were more reliable than they are today and it was unheard of for anyone to change them all at once.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    The biggest issue I have had with early Gibson amps is the type of preamp valves they use, often not easily sourced in the UK, typically 6EU7, 6FQ7 etc.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I did a session with one of these in Spike Stent's studio using a late 60s 335, and I wanted to take both home. 

It's a very rich, complex tone with a good guitar, and quite compressed-feeling amp even when very clean. 

Condition and maintenance are everything though, I'd imagine.