Almost Famous...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I've started watching it because of this thread. Bit boring so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    One of my Top 5 favourite movies.

@RaymondLin is the content on the Bluray the same as Collector's Edition? I have the "Untitled" and original DVD versions but both with slightly different artwork. Mmmm.
    Running time

Theatrical cut 2 hr 3mins (Region 1)
    Director's cut 2 hr 42mins (Region 1)
    Extended Cut (Bluray) 2 hr 21min

The Director's cut also comes with a Stillwater CD - 6 tracks from the film inc Fever Dog.

The artwork is different because i used to buy Region 1 DVDs mostly.  There are more contents on the Director's cut.
    That explains it.. thanks. I'll watching it later.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 980
    Must be the Diretor's version on Sky as it was just under three hours.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    One of my Top 5 favourite movies.

This. I saw it in the cinema, hungover and I was absolutely perfect. Still vividly remember that trip fondly. Need to rewatch it at some point
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Another cameo is Peter Frampton as Humble Pie's roadie.

'Stillwater' are based on Cameron Crowe's experience with a British rock band in the 70's with a notoriously temperamental singer....There are a couple of giveaways as to who it is in the film...did anyone get it? :) 
    I had read, years ago... that Russell was based on Glenn Frey but there are references in the movie to

Led Zeppelin
    Allman Brothers
    The Who
    Kiss 

Stillwater is mostly based on the Allman Brothers, but there's loads of Eagles and Led Zeppelin bits (I am a Golden God etc.) thrown in there too.
    It's also Bad Company. The piece where they argue about the T-Shirt print because Russel is further forward than the band is a direct reference/rip off of Bad Company's album cover, Burning Sky. Also, one of the groupies mentions Simon Kirke is in the lobby in one of the hotel scenes.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3316
    Its a superb movie - i prefer the standard non extended version - its tighter and funnier and I think a better movie although i enjoy the added bits I guess but i think if you watch it first time the shorter version is better

Much like that other superb movie The natural
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    I never knew of its existence before this thread and watched it the night before last with Mrs F.  Great film!  I loved it.  A few plot holes that irritated me but a good watch nonetheless.  Ta O.P.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 962
    Someone tell me what Im missing. I watched this a few years ago based on the good online reviews and just found it really boring, couldn't wait for it to end.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    It's the atmosphere of the time. The best era for those album rock bands - a love letter to the Riot House if you will. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited May 2019
    I saw it at the cinema with the eldest. She liked it but at 15 I think it was because she spent time alone with me instead of having her younger sister too.

What I found brilliant at the time was him as a boy with Sparks from Tommy playing turning into Sparks from Live at Leeds being much older. Rock and roll orgasm!

I thought the rest mostly meh!
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Keiko said:
    Someone tell me what Im missing. I watched this a few years ago based on the good online reviews and just found it really boring, couldn't wait for it to end.
    The beautifully chosen soundtrack, the humour, the characters and overall the resonance with all of us who loved the bands from that era and the stories that surrounded them.

Ultimately, if you didn’t actually enjoy it no amount of explanation is going to make it enjoyable for you; it’s a matter of personal taste. You might as well ask “What’s so great about wine?” and expect the answer to turn a teetotaller into a wine connoisseur.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    "Turning back she just laughs
      The boulevard is not that bad

Hold me closer tiny dancer
       Count the headlights on the highway
       Lay me down in sheets of linen
       You had a busy day today"

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    edited May 2019
    If I'm looking for the rock "feels", then I think it has to be dazed and confused for me. And if I want to watch the best ever music type movie, then it's gotta be Wayne's World. But I remember liking this when I saw it first, so should probably revisit.