Marshall Studio Classic 20W (JCM 800 / 2203 wotsit)

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
Anyone using one?

The JCM800 was really the sound of my youth but I've never owned one, and despite being 99% a bassist and having a Helix that itch is still not going away.

The 100W head is a definite no-go. Too big and pointless for not gigging on guitar, but I'm mightily tempted by the 20W

Has anyone owned both the 100W and the 20W? Does the 20W do the job properly?

I'd need to get a cab too - and I'd probably go with something loaded with G12-65 rather than V30, simply because G12-65 and the JCM800 were all over "Ride the Lightning"!

Any thoughts from anyone who has the amp?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited May 2019
    I just tried my new SV20H and it's great! I've only tried the SC20H in store and I hate playing amps loud in store so it wasn't a good experience. But, if the SC20 is anything as good as the SV20, it'll be amazing!

One thing I noticed in a particular video comparison of the two, was that in comparison between the two new heads and their original counterparts, the SV20 retained some of the thump and bass, where the SC20 lacked it a little, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally, as I would like one, but it may be worth noting. That said, they massively downsized the chassis and wattage, so it stands to reason that it'd lose at least a small percentage of the thump and bass response of the original 800. That goes for both of the new amps, I'm sure the SV20 does too, compared to an original Plexi, but to my ears it was to a lesser extent.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I too love the 2203's and 2204's but sold all mine last year as they'r ejust too powerful for todays gigs.

I played both SV20 and SC20 and thought  they were both fantastic.
    I'll be ordering the SC20.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    Cool!

I need to sell a few bits and then I'll be doing the same.