Picking up acoustic again, guides?

What's Hot
Hello all, I'm just picking up the acoustic guitar again and I'm after some advice.

When I was younger I had lessons for about 7/8 years, but I seemed to skip over a lot of the theory practice my teacher gave me as an impatient teen and just carried on learning the songs I wanted to learn.

During this time I jammed with friends writing in a rock band etc, and I would say I was a pretty good player, comfortable with different styles from blues/classical/rock etc.

I guess I'm after your recommended chord/scale books, tab books or even some kind of course books.

I can physically play the guitar, I just can't really explain what I'm doing very well.

One thing I am currently doing, is watching Paul Davids What you need to know series on youtube. It seems a very good watch so far. It's a shame the applications to his course are currently closed.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited May 2019
     =) I was very similar to you when I was younger.I went back to it as “unfinished business “.
    I found Justin Guitar.com very good many choices of songs at different levels.But you can’t beat jammin with friends.Ive just found some So life is good 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vivalacoultervivalacoulter Frets: 196
     =) I was very similar to you when I was younger.I went back to it as “unfinished business “.
    I found Justin Guitar.com very good many choices of songs at different levels.But you can’t beat jammin with friends.Ive just found some So life is good 
    Ah that's good news! I too found that website but something about the layout of it for its content is a bit weird for me, but his youtube channel is amazing. I'm lucky that the other members of my old band and I are still great friends so a jam shouldn't be too hard to arrange.

That will have to wait a while though, as I really want to get some of this theory down a bit better before going back to writing etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well I just finished Paul Davids little series on his YouTube channel on music theory, it's very informative, may have to give it another couple of views before I can really have it sink in.

It reminded me of what my poor long suffering guitar teacher tried to imbed years ago.

I may pop by the local guitar shops from some reading material on music theory, if anyone has any suggestions?
  • fishfingersfishfingers Frets: 103
    Try MyMusicTheory.com. I used it last year and it helped a lot in preparing for the grade 5 music theory exam
    Try MyMusicTheory.com. I used it last year and it helped a lot in preparing for the grade 5 music theory exam
    That’s great, thanks for the advice.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Have you tried the Theory section or put a thread there? I think the teachers amongst us will advise too.
    thebreeze said:
    Have you tried the Theory section or put a thread there? I think the teachers amongst us will advise too.
    No I didn’t, I’ll have a good look over there, should find something. Thanks!