Cheap Fender reverb valve combos?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
I know nothing about Fender amps but have an itch for a smsll combo for home use, any suggestions?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    Red knob champ 12 plus for instance? Are they as bad as people say they are?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    Blues jr? Or is that too big or too non standard fender sounding. I picked up an old one recently and really like it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    That's the thing, what is a standard sounding Fender and what does it sound like?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    Champ 12, red knob. Ignore the heretics
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    robgilmo said:
    Red knob Champ is a fine combo. Lovely clean sound. Reverb 'tank' is actually a cardboard container (but it works okay).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    JezWynd said:
    robgilmo said:
    Red knob Champ is a fine combo. Lovely clean sound. Reverb 'tank' is actually a cardboard container (but it works okay).
    The clean channel is nice. The distortion channel is hideous, but just don’t use it!

The reverb is a perfectly normal tank, but it’s driven from the speaker output so it can be a bit odd at higher volumes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4685

Yeah I had a champ 12, really good Fender cleans at low volume.  A bit weak volume/headroom wise but very nice.  Bright but with a lot of give when you dig in.  Gain channel a bit mushy, classic Fender - can’t really do a good gain channel, but some usable sounds. 
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    edited May 2019
    Purists may sniff, but I've been pleasantly surprised by my Juketone True Blood amp—it's basically a 1957 Fender Champ clone, made with Chinese parts (I think) and assembled in the UK. £295 delivered. (NB. I have no personal links to them—am just a happy user). I use it only at home and the tone is, to my ear at least. pretty damn good.

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:
    robgilmo said:
    The clean channel is nice. The distortion channel is hideous, but just don’t use it!

The reverb is a perfectly normal tank, but it’s driven from the speaker output so it can be a bit odd at higher volumes.
    The reverb tank must have been a replacement on mine (though it looked an original part). It was a cardboard box that had originally been glued into place but glue had decayed and tank was loose in chassis.

Can’t link pics atm but there’s thread here with pics that show the reverb container -
    http://gretschpages.com/forum/other-amps/reverb-tank-repair/54809/page1/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    It’s a standard spring unit inside that cardboard box.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KDSKDS Frets: 221
    Dottore said:
    Purists may sniff, but I've been pleasantly surprised by my Juketone True Blood amp—it's basically a 1957 Fender Champ clone, made with Chinese parts (I think) and assembled in the UK. £295 delivered. (NB. I have no personal links to them—am just a happy user). I use it only at home and the tone is, to my ear at least. pretty damn good.
    I’ve one these and it’s great. Surprisingly well built
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30878
    Pro Junior for the win, c. 250/300 if you're lucky.

Or, get a Peavey Classic 20 and ignore badge

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Gassage said:
    Pro Junior for the win, c. 250/300 if you're lucky.

Or, get a Peavey Classic 20 and ignore badge
    Pro Junior doesn't have built in reverb.