Remember these? Esso Tiger Tokens

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    sev112 said:
    Green shield stamps used to have a catalogue and a store (very like Argos, and maybe a pre-cursor ?) where we used to go and redeem.  But that was in the middle of London, so how did you redeem your GS stamps if you didn’t have one of those nearby ?
    I remember the catalogue. Catalogues were a big thing, my mother used to have Grattan's. I have fond memories of the lingerie section. 

I guess they also pre-empted the loyalty card systems that supermarkets have. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited May 2019
    I correctly guessed who posted this before clicking on the thread.

I think I’ll start a rival ‘Brentford Nylons’ one....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    No, I'm not 46.
    Your immaturity is noted

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Re the Esso tiger tails: those of a humouorous nature would attach the tail so it hung out of the tank filler cover, so they really did have a tiger in their tank.

I remember sticking heaps of the Green Shield stamps into the books, and one mega stamp that filled a whole page.
    S&H Pink stamps too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12359
    sev112 said:
    Green shield stamps used to have a catalogue and a store (very like Argos, and maybe a pre-cursor ?) where we used to go and redeem.  But that was in the middle of London, so how did you redeem your GS stamps if you didn’t have one of those nearby ?
    Yep, Green Shield became Argos.  ;) There were also S&H pink stamps and some variety of gold ones too. 

The stamps were a pain in the arse, you’d spend a year or more religiously saving them for something only to then find you needed more cos they’d put the price up in the meantime. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12335
    The modern equivalents are great we have had theme park tickets, a tv soundbar, blender etc from tesco, sainsburys and boots.

It only costs us £100 a day as missus munckee spends all our cash on nothing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    munckee said:
    The modern equivalents are great we have had theme park tickets, a tv soundbar, blender etc from tesco, sainsburys and boots.

It only costs us £100 a day as missus munckee spends all our cash on nothing.
    Our Tesco points are paying most of the cost of our Eurotunnel trip this year ( thought we'd get across before Farage has it bricked up). I try to convince myself that this is a lovely free benefit and that we haven't been suckered in to spending huge amounts of money there every week. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    I correctly guessed who posted this before clicking on the thread.

I think I’ll start a rival ‘Brentford Nylons’ one....
    Am I that predictable?

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    Then there was the Smurf collection at National petrol stations

and I remember the 1970 World CupImage result for 1970 world cup petrol coins
    it took me ages to get the full collection from Esso
    A good friend of my mum was a sales rep who did a lot of miles. The world cup coin set was a bit too early for me but I have the Esso club badges and Top Team collection and the Cleveland Book Of Golden Goals.

Completing the badges collection was like conquering Everest, rumours were rife that Hearts and Norwich badges were being deliberately held back.

Hapy days.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4909
    Embassy fag vouchers real old school. Lung cancer would always get you before you cashed them in

Not so!  I got a Parker pen and an encyclopaedia (both of which I still have) in 1976 - haven't got lung cancer yet.

(although I did give up smoking many years ago)

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3126
    edited May 2019
    scrumhalf said:
    Then there was the Smurf collection at National petrol stations

and I remember the 1970 World CupImage result for 1970 world cup petrol coins
    it took me ages to get the full collection from Esso
    A good friend of my mum was a sales rep who did a lot of miles. The world cup coin set was a bit too early for me but I have the Esso club badges and Top Team collection and the Cleveland Book Of Golden Goals.

Completing the badges collection was like conquering Everest, rumours were rife that Hearts and Norwich badges were being deliberately held back.

Hapy days.
    I have the complete set of FACup coins they did 1972 I think it was, just checked on eBay and the complete set is going for a tenner, that new capo will have to wait then!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    Didn’t ESSO also give out the stick on bullet hole transfers for the windscreen ?

We had them on the family Mini 
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    "Young people today don't know what they're missing"...

Pretty sure we still have a nice amber coloured tumbler someone in the family got from a petrol company, sadly the last one now. We don't use it though, to avoid arguments about who's turn it is.

I also remember having a small FAKE fur tiger's tail from Esso, it had red cords on it which I think were so you could hang it from your rear view mirror.

• King85King85 Frets: 631
    57Deluxe said:

These go for plenty on ebay now, wish I had one :(
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    I visited a bp earlier. 

As I exited, I contemplated the dark rainy night and my steed before me and the words of Edgar Allen Poe came to me. 

'Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared dream before'

Guess its better than leaving with free herpes from the toilets.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22769
    edited May 2019
    One of my most prized possessions is my Shell World Wildlife Collection of 3D cards from some time in the early 1970s.  It took bloody ages to collect them all - or so it seemed at the time.

(Pictures found online - mine is tucked away on a shelf I can't reach due to guitar cases)

image 5
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Didn’t ESSO also give out the stick on bullet hole transfers for the windscreen ?

We had them on the family Mini 

It was Regent.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    My uncle had an Esso station so I got all the promotional stuff when I helped out there at weekends.

The station owner had to order and pay for all the "free" giveaways.

Regarding Brooke Bond tea cards, I used to love those and still have every set in albums and loads of loose ones too.

My main collecting thing is pre-war cigarette cards of mainly actresses and bathing beauties, not old enough to remember them the first time round though! 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12359
    Neil said:
    My uncle had an Esso station so I got all the promotional stuff when I helped out there at weekends.

The station owner had to order and pay for all the "free" giveaways.

Regarding Brooke Bond tea cards, I used to love those and still have every set in albums and loads of loose ones too.

My main collecting thing is pre-war cigarette cards of mainly actresses and bathing beauties, not old enough to remember them the first time round though! 
    I’ve got a few cigarette cards tucked away somewhere, nothing as exotic as yours though. I’ve also got some James Bond, US Civil War and Man From Uncle bubblegum cards. Remember those? The Civil War ones were quite heavily criticised at the time for being pretty bloodthirsty. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    My Dad was a sales rep in the 80s (drinks industry), so we had every petrol-related promo item going.  All of our glassware was from Esso (much of it still in active service).  We needed about five decanters just to accommodate all the varieties of Domeq sherry he used to sell...

Also, do you remember those big soup mugs with two handles and a recipe printed on the front?  We had all of those too.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here