Fender , Marshall, Iconic tones?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3447
So here's the thing, Marshall ''stack'' , Fender cleans, I often hear people talk about iconic amp tones but never quite relating to any one particular amp, if a person was looking for that iconic Fender or Marshall tone what amps in particular would that person be looking for? Im assuming expensive vintage, rare, hard to find, parts made from unobtanium, can these ''iconic'' tones be found in relatively new , less expensive amps?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Yes, easily.

Iconic - Fender Twin Reverb, Marshall 2203 and 4x12”.

Smaller - Fender Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Studio 20 Classic and 2x12”.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3447
    ICBM said:
    Yes, easily.

Iconic - Fender Twin Reverb, Marshall 2203 and 4x12”.

Smaller - Fender Deluxe Reverb, Marshall Studio 20 Classic and 2x12”.
    So to get either of the smaller you would have to still spend quite a bit new?

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/65-deluxe-reverb/product-021740.html?rl=en_US

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SC20H--marshall-sc20h-studio-classic-20-5-watt-tube-head

Or would you have to go vintage and spend a whole lot more?

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Well if you go used you can pick up the iconic versions for a lot less than the new, smaller versions.

Twin Reverb - £600

Marshall 2203 RI - £750

4x12  - free to good home (or more usually, about a ton)

You can fiddle and fart around the borders of these iconic tones, but when you actually buy one it'll make you grin from ear to ear when you plug it in. 

Until you have to lug them back up from your groaning car to your third floor flat though - that's when you realise why they're so cheap second hand.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Nobody will believe me but playing a Marshall Artiste yesterday, I had incredible fender cleans on one channel and AC/DC Marshall tones on the other. Mixing the two together with careful tone and presence regulation provided vox like tones and choking overdrive. Weighs a ton.