Fender Modern Player Coronado II

What's Hot
joetelejoetele Frets: 951
edited May 2019 in Guitar
Anyone got one of these? I think they were released a few years back as a reissue of sorts. 

Tried one in Hobgoblin Music in Bristol at lunchtime today and really like it - lovely neck to play, ace pickups and a nice sound even through the boxy practice amp they plugged me into. I think it would sound amazing through a proper amp with some pedals. I'd remove that flappy pickguard though. 

Any ideas of value? Anyone love or hate theirs?
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9304
    I preferred the Starcaster out of the two. Regret selling my Starcaster, which just needed decent pickups. The Corondo was a bit "meh" in my view. They weren't around for long and weren't popular so have held their money well from what I've seen. £450ish would be reasonable at a guess
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Yeah, I remember Andertons doing an epic deal for £399. The shop today had it for £599 with a chip in the headstock which is a bit rich for my blood 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    joetele said:
    a reissue of sorts. 
    Fair assessment. Neither model was a particularly accurate recreation of the original on which it is based. This does not mean that they cannot be enormous fun. 

I remember trying them in a shop. Wasn't massively grabbed by either. The shop took ages to shift them whereas MIC Gretsch guitars fly out of the door with alarming regularity. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    joetele said:
    a reissue of sorts. 
    Fair assessment. Neither model was a particularly accurate recreation of the original on which it is based. This does not mean that they cannot be enormous fun. 

I remember trying them in a shop. Wasn't massively grabbed by either. The shop took ages to shift them whereas MIC Gretsch guitars fly out of the door with alarming regularity. 
    How similar would it be to a Gretsch? I really liked the thin neck on it and if there was a Gretsch with similar I'd be interested in trying one 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    The original  Starcaster and Coronado guitars hardly set the world on fire. I can’t really understand why they decided to have another go with them.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    The original  Starcaster and Coronado guitars hardly set the world on fire. I can’t really understand why they decided to have another go with them.
    The original mustangs and jazz masters didn’t ignite the world either then along comes the 90’s and boom popular guitars. I guess they were hoping for the same?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'm glad they did. Fun guitars. 
    edited June 2019
    I've just played this again (soon they'll actually ask me if I want to buy it I'm sure). Through a Vox AC4C1-12 amp with a 12" Celestion speaker, no less. 

There's just something about those pickups, and the really nice neck on it. I'm pretty sure that simply buying a set of the same pickups and sticking them into my Ibanez LP-alike won't yield the same results, so I might have to keep one of these on the radar for a future purchase/mid-life crisis decision. 
    (The amp was quite nice too for a simple valve amp) 
    OK, I just played this again through a Yamaha THR - so that's boxy practice amp, simple valve amp and nice digital (i think) amp - and again it sounded brilliant and played wonderfully. 

Can anyone lend me £600? 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    edited September 2019
    joetele said:
    OK, I just played this again through a Yamaha THR - so that's boxy practice amp, simple valve amp and nice digital (i think) amp - and again it sounded brilliant and played wonderfully. 

Can anyone lend me £600? 

Yeah sure, meet me in tesco's car park at 7 this evening.  I'll be dressed as a gorilla.

In fact you better dress as a gorrilla as well so we recognise each other.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    munckee said:
    joetele said:

Can anyone lend me £600? 

Yeah sure, meet me in tesco's car park at 7 this evening.  I'll be dressed as a gorilla.

In fact you better dress as a gorrilla as well so we recognise each other.
    Cracking idea. I'll need a few beers though. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    joetele said:

Presumably they've been discontinued, so you should snap it up while you can.
  • I played one of these a few years ago, on Denmark Street. I really liked it. The neck felt much better finished -- in terms of fret dressing and general setup -- than the equivalent priced non-Fender semis I was trying in the same price range.

As it happened, I didn't buy anything at the time (reality/kid intervened), but I enjoyed it as a guitar.
    Philly_Q said:
    joetele said:

Presumably they've been discontinued, so you should snap it up while you can.
    "can" is the issue currently...more "would love to if I could win the lottery". 

They crop up on Ebay now and then for between £400 and 800 as well but I like the one I've tried so many times. It's got a hefty ding in the headstock so maybe I could get them to knock some of the price down. 

If they offered finance it would be a serious consideration. 

The next challenge would be getting my wife to agree to having yet another guitar in the house...
    Matt_McG said:
    I played one of these a few years ago, on Denmark Street. I really liked it. The neck felt much better finished -- in terms of fret dressing and general setup -- than the equivalent priced non-Fender semis I was trying in the same price range.

As it happened, I didn't buy anything at the time (reality/kid intervened), but I enjoyed it as a guitar.
    Yup, I love the fact that it's essentially a lovely Fendery neck mounted to a 335, with really sparkly Gretschy pickups. It just sings and feels smooth to play. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    joetele said:
    Matt_McG said:
    I played one of these a few years ago, on Denmark Street. I really liked it. The neck felt much better finished -- in terms of fret dressing and general setup -- than the equivalent priced non-Fender semis I was trying in the same price range.

Yup, I love the fact that it's essentially a lovely Fendery neck mounted to a 335, with really sparkly Gretschy pickups. It just sings and feels smooth to play. 
    Sounds like you have your heart set on it.  Time to sell...
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    joetele said:

Can anyone lend me £600? 

Most shops will have an option to lend you the money so you can take the guitar now and pay it up.
    munckee said:
    joetele said:
    Matt_McG said:

Sounds like you have your heart set on it.  Time to sell...
    I have nothing to sell! Egads. I've asked about finance. I could trade in my old Eko acoustic and my Boss CE5 against it too.