Why is an SD-1 preferred to a TS circuit into a Marshall?

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
edited May 2019 in Amps
I tried my Maxon OD808 in front of my SV20H yesterday and it sounded superb. Now we all know how GAS can strike hard and can make us into unreasonable human beings...even though I loved the sound of my Maxon, it made me think "what makes the SD-1 the preferred choice?".

Anyone able to shed any light on the matter?

AND, has anyone tried the SD-1W into a Marshall and how does it compare for the job, up against a regular SD-1?

Also admins...why are we restricted to putting this in one place or another on the forum?! Surely a more modern tagging system would be more applicable than restrictive containers! (This is appropriate for FX and Amps)

Many thanks.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31369
    I didn't know it was the preferred choice, I've been running Tubescreamers into non-MV Marshalls since 1981, in fact it's all I had for the first ten years or so. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Someone mentioned it on here a few weeks ago, in one of the threads...TS for MESA, SD-1 for Marshall. Obviously it's not an exclusive club, but I was curious as the reasoning :-)

If it works, it works. And the Maxon worked wonderfully for me...even though I GAS for more, such is life! :-)

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I seem to remember reading that the TS circuit clips symmetrically whereas the SD-1 clips assymetrically. I have a Monty Allums modded SD-1 that has a switch to change between the two modes and I definitely prefer the asymmetric setting into a Marshall but it's not a vast difference.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9501

Apart from the clipping diodes, maybe there's a difference in the frequency response of the output buffers? Unlikely to make much of a difference in reality, I suspect.

It's probably more to do with economics or something - SD-1s were cheaper and/or more easily available to people with a Marshall they needed to boost. Once a few people were seen doing it, the idea gained momentum and it was taken as fact.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    The TS isn't bad at all, but the SD-1 is just better. There's something about the combination that really brings out the harmonics and makes it more touch-sensitive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I tend to think of the tubescreamer as more classic rock and the sd1 as 80s rock but either way it’s just boosting the input with a mid push to give more gain.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7734
    They sound very similar anyway but a bit more grit in the sd-1 probably helps
    John_P said:
    I tend to think of the tubescreamer as more classic rock and the sd1 as 80s rock but either way it’s just boosting the input with a mid push to give more gain.  
    Not the way I would use it, I use the pedal to add extra dirt not to boost the input or push the amp harder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    ICBM said:
    John_P said:
    Not the way I would use it, I use the pedal to add extra dirt not to boost the input or push the amp harder.
    That's how I used them too.

And the Dual Rec does seem to need a bit of extra dirt rather than a clean boost.
  • ICBM said:
    The TS isn't bad at all, but the SD-1 is just better. There's something about the combination that really brings out the harmonics and makes it more touch-sensitive.
    That second sentence applied perfectly to my experience of the Maxon yesterday, so for the fairly moderate expense of an SD-1, I'd be really intrigued to try one to A/B it against the TS. :-)

And the Dual Rec does seem to need a bit of extra dirt rather than a clean boost.
    For such a 'legendary high gain amp', the Dual Rec isn't actually all that high gain. I remember when I went from my DC-5 to my Trem-o-verb, I was very surprised to find that it had much less gain - not enough for what I consider a high-gain lead sound... although it has the ultimate heavy crunch rhythm tone. It's also much too loose for soloing, and the TS is brilliant for tightening it up to just the right amount.

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I like both but gravitate to the tube screamers, mostly out of habit.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    ICBM said:
    And transparent?
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    For such a 'legendary high gain amp', the Dual Rec isn't actually all that high gain. I remember when I went from my DC-5 to my Trem-o-verb, I was very surprised to find that it had much less gain - not enough for what I consider a high-gain lead sound... although it has the ultimate heavy crunch rhythm tone. It's also much too loose for soloing, and the TS is brilliant for tightening it up to just the right amount.
    @ICBM What was the best boost pedal for your DC5, do you think?
    NelsonP said:

@ICBM What was the best boost pedal for your DC5, do you think?
    I used a Rat 2.

As always, I never used it as a boost, but as a more-dirt pedal. I typically had the amp set with the graphic EQ *very* scooped on the lead channel, so the Rat added a good amount of mids.

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Thanks v much!
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029

Normally I'm TS+Recto, Marshall+SD1 but recently I've been using a SD1 into my dual recto reborn with very impressive results - it's such a versatile little pedal!

I'd like to try the Waza one, but I'm too mean to spend another £100 on an SD1 - how much better can it really be? :)

I don’t feel the need to boost my DC5 – mine has a truly insane amount of gain with the treble up – must be amount the same as a mark IV channel 3 or so – bonkers little amp!

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    I'm a huge fan of my maxon od808 into a Marshall.  Adds something intangible but magical.