Heard someone playing an old D28 tonight

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
hoooooo my my. Was at an acoustic/folk night (in the audience) and a guy did a couple of numbers (great singer and player) and this thing just sounded like an orchestra - he was a great player too but I was blown away by how good it sounded. It looked like it had never once bene wiped clean or polished - covered in patina and mojo. Epic. 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    Fantastic, the thought of it makes me go all gooey inside, wish I'd heard it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2041
    Do you know what year it was? I have a 64 D28 which has blown every other acoustic I have owned out of the water.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    No I didn’t talk to him so I don’t know if it was really really old or just quite old and heavily used. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4191
    Mmmmm....there’s nothing a good D28 can’t do. 

What sort of thing was he playing?
    edited June 2019
    Strummed acoustic troubadour self accompaniment - he was a very good player and singer - the overall effect was top notch 
    Red ones are better. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Mic'd up? Presumably not a pickup.
    No amplification - acoustic 
    Red ones are better. 
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2041
    I was reshuffling gear for while to get a 50s J200 but along the way picked up the D28 and can’t imagine a better acoustic so soon realised to stop looking for anything else.
    CMW335 said:
    I was reshuffling gear for while to get a 50s J200 but along the way picked up the D28 and can’t imagine a better acoustic so soon realised to stop looking for anything else.
    Nice. Was that an old.one too or a regular current production? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    I had the same experience a few years ago when I was involved in a folk project. Older guy had a D28 which he's been playing for decades, the lacquer is all cracked, there's wear and tear but oh my it sounded glorious. A deep, rich sound which filled the room and just filled me with so much want!
    I couldn't afford a Martin but I bought a Stonebridge dreadnought as a direct result of hearing that D28. I hope mine lasts as long!