Fender CS prices

What's Hot
mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 503
I don't pay much attention to these, but have they gone through the roof over the past few years? I bought a ltd edition 59 relic late 2014, they don't do the same exact one now but it was about 2.4k, now they seems to be 3k upwards! Is it all down to exchange rates or what?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Masterbuilts at £6499 are what make me laugh - a complete rip off.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    £2.4k up to £3k over 5 years seems like on the smaller prices to me. Not just in the guitar world but across the luxury retail market in general. X
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    As with anything, deals can be had on stock after it’s been hanging unsold for a while. My 2017 build 61 journeyman relic strat went for £2.5k early this year but if I ordered it again at same spec it would be £3.5k plus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Custom shoppe are ridiculous prices. There is only so much you actually enhance  two bits of wood nicely made and screwed together .However while people buy em Fender will make em and if I won a huge sum on the lottery I would probably indulge.There are a lot of people with disposable income and they may as well cough up to our favorite guitar maker.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve bought new for the final time based on these new prices. Just can’t afford to to pay £3300 from shops and then get told it’s only worth a 3rd of that on trade in. This happened recently. 

I cant make sense of values for private secondhand either. I always worked on losing a 3rd of the price when selling privately but people want to pay 2/3 of purchase prices of 2 or 3 years ago. 

I was was told by one well known shop the masterbuilt prices would be inflated purely based on the fact people were buying MB over CS because the prices were too close. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957

I was was told by one well known shop the masterbuilt prices would be inflated purely based on the fact people were buying MB over CS because the prices were too close.
    I would buy 'team built' over 'masterbuilt' whatever the price, based on my experience of them.

Judge it on the guitar, not whether a specifically named person sprinkled magic fairy dust over it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Well, the pound has lost 20% of its value in that period alone.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • PablocrackersPablocrackers Frets: 181
    edited June 2019
    Yeh bollox isnt i recently brought a 2nd custom shop for £300 more then the new price it was 10 years before that! but it was such a good Strat i had to. I moaned about the price a couple of years ago 2nd hand cs was 1800 ish! And 6.4k for a masterbuilt is insane what would Leo think!! Standard cs strat now about 3.7k i think
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited June 2019
    £ fall plus general above-inflation price increases mean they are now pretty insane, I agree. 

And second-hand values seem to be going up proportionally...
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Team Built means that four people each put one neck bolt in, lavishing all the attention on it that the task deserves. 

Masterbuilt is one guy trying to do all four in a rush job before his Pimm's gets warm.

Seriously, you'd have to charge 200 quid a minute before you ran up a six grand invoice on a Telecaster build. 

Fools/money/etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Yes they have gone up over the last 3-4 years and quite significant increases - A factory price increase coupled with changes to the exchange rate are principle reasons

Interesting that everyone - I mean everyone, has jumped on board with an increase to used prices - Dealers + private ads - Almost no used C/Shop models now under 2K and many around £2300/2500
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Yeh bollox isnt i recently brought a 2nd custom shop for £300 more then the new price it was 10 years before that! but it was such a good Strat i had to. I moaned about the price a couple of years ago 2nd hand cs was 1800 ish! And 6.4k for a masterbuilt is insane what would Leo think!! Standard cs strat now about 3.7k i think
    Many new C/S models are still available for just over 3K - The CS ala carte menu lists options that can move such a price north of £3k but I'm seeing few, if any over £3400 - Either based on what I have in stock and what I have on order for 2019 delivery

In 1962 a Strat was around £150 - On an inflation calculator, from 1962 to 2019 and that changes to £3100 - So the new cost of a vintage spec'd Strat is still the same today as 1962 on a like for like build basis etc

Obviously hard for me to defend a Masterbuilt price at £5899 for a Jason Smith model as currently in stock  at my end, especially based on above comments - But the last 2 identical JS models I had in stock sold in days after arrival  and a 30 month waiting time for stock to arrive - I have 4 JC Strats on order - Currently had to wait over 2 years and no update yet if I'll get them in 2019 - 2 maybe 3 are already sold when they arrive
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    If you can't afford expensive guitars stop looking, earn more money or take a loan but stop whining about it. 

8reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 503
    I'm not whining about it mate. I have 3. Pardon me for commenting.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited June 2019
    If you can't afford expensive guitars stop looking, earn more money or take a loan but stop whining about it. 
    Being able to afford something and still not seeing value in it are not mutually exclusive. 

When people who can afford them start complaining, that must be when they are nearing a ceiling...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 503
    edited June 2019
    Yep, who said this I wonder? ---   "I can't believe the price of cheap guitars these days, bloody ridiculous the quality you can get for a not a lot of money. What with the pound devaluation and Brexit it's a nightmare.

I wish all guitars were as expensive as the Fender Custom Shop Master Built"
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18378
    'Being able to afford something and still not seeing value in it are not mutually exclusive.' 
    +1 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited June 2019
    but it is boring isn't it? Prices rise, world turns...

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    ICBM said:

I would buy 'team built' over 'masterbuilt' whatever the price, based on my experience of them.

Judge it on the guitar, not whether a specifically named person sprinkled magic fairy dust over it.
    Not my experience, to be fair...

I dont think a Masterbuilt (MB) is worth £6000, but virtually every MB Ive owned and played have been superior to the (already excellent) CS equivalents.

My ‘63 Jason Smith MB Strat remains THE best Strat Ive played. As ever, ymmv...

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I only buy the most expensive guitars available. That way I know I've got something special that few prols can afford.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom