P90 Routing Template

What's Hot
Hi there,

I know this is cheeky, but i was wondering if any one had a P90 routing template they could lend/send to me. 

I'm making my first guitar and have an Oil City P90 Firewatch. Ash from Oil City suggested i joined this forum and some good sole might be able to help!

I can pay postage. I'm in Cheshire. I see StewMac has some but they are £15 postage for starters!

Cheers

Will
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited May 2014
    If you can rout for a pickup, you can make a template.

Place the cover on some MDF and use 4 pieces of wood to form the outline. Attach the wood with double sided tape (remove the cover) and rout out the hole

That way, your rout will be exactly the right size for your pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • will20fitzwill20fitz Frets: 4
    Oh, you are a clever bean ;-)

Thanks for that tip... will get in the workshop later and get template sorted.

Thanks for your help :-)

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    Just remember to double-check that the lines are parallel, and the corners are 90deg before you route on the actual body! :)
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    You can just drop the pickup cover in your template and check everything lines up before you rout the body..
    Again, thanks for the direction!

Its a big help when working in the dark making your first guitar...

Can't work out how to post pics... darn.

;-)

while i'm here...

Any suggestions for the control cavity... Its going to be in the back of the guitar and i have some sheets of Bubinga 3mm thick that i want to use as the cavity cover. 

I cut some shapes out of MDF, but they look shoddy and the lines are not clean. Any ideas on how to get nice clean shapes to route out?

Cheers, Will
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    This help is in the NEW General Index near the top of page 1 if you need to check it out again.

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader

Have a look at the link below it shows how to make a simple jig, the second links shows lot of tips on building guitars form start to finish plus all the different types of work custom builder takes on over a year, the last link show a “V” being built for the first time and how jigs are made.

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3552.msg22441#msg22441

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3889.0

http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3235.msg20325#msg20325

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks GSPBASSES. thats very useful... using the steps one the body wings! LOL! Why didnt i think of that!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    it really is the best advise to make your own template.   I think I have brought 2 P90 templates from reputable suppliers and both have been wrong.

not totally wrong,  a dogear cover was fine as its cover is a bit larger and sits over the route - but i would have expected the template to be for the smaller sized soapbar covers which would allow it to fit both styles.  As it was the soapbars had an unacceptably loose fit.   this was a few years back so i just checked the stew-mac website and the reviews on their now suggest its much snugger, but too tight on the corners for a real gibson soapbar cover

learning to make your own solves any issues like this
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    See I told you they was luverly people on here!
    Welcome to the Forum Will!
    Hope you'll stick around ...  :-)

Oh, and post pics of that beast when it has my pickups fitted
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Thanks Ash, yep, been a great help... routed out the pickup cavity template last nite (worked on the 3rd go!).

Yep, will post and link to ya, completed guitar with your pick up in... hopefully get a video with it rockin' in as well :-)

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    You are welcome geezer, this place is the best place on the net for help and info IMO ... you get free expert advice from people who spend their time really making and repairing stuff ... not just talking about it :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message