Current options for super quiet/headphone practice?

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
I use my ac15 at the moment but will soon live in a flat. While I anticipate I can use it at weekends, I won't be able to play in the evening without being a dick. Rule number one, folks.

So, I've not looked at practice amps for a while. A few years back it was the vox 10 watt solid state, the blackstar 10 or 20 waters and the yamaha thr series. 

Is there anything I should look at now? I mostly play clean-ish - crunch, with a smattering of high gain modern metal and fuzz. I appreciate the combo won't do all that but responsive clean-crunch is a must - I love my ac15 for just that, but it does need a bit of volume despite having a master to do it well. 

Voice wise, I do prefer vox amps but can get on board with old school bassman as well. 

Any help appreciated - bonus points if it has a good emulated out for headphones. 

Budget - fuck it, £200 or less. The less the better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 397
    The VOX amPlug2 AC might fit the bill nicely? 
  • susbemol said:
    The VOX amPlug2 AC might fit the bill nicely? 

Sounds good, but I'd like it to not be headphones only - as I understand that's a headphone amp... 

Although, cheap so definitely worth trying. 
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    Vox Adio Air GT. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    Id play along using a PC, and S-Gear software. Do you want to play along with mp3's, backing tracks etc?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Id play along using a PC, and S-Gear software. Do you want to play along with mp3's, backing tracks etc?

It's for living room practice really - I'd rather not have to boot up the pc. This was my first choice also, especially as there are some awesome free modellers online (le peu? Can't remember.) 
  • Vox Adio Air GT. 

Ooo now that looks tasty...! 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4133
    Zoom G3. Excellent headphone sound, coupled with its looper and drum beats.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9697
    If using headphones use the "Air" reverb model as it works particularly nicely to give it a bit of room space
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    I'm using a zoom g3xn and now a added trio plus and having a great time!. I'll also add I got a set of superlux headphone for twenty quid, unbelievably good I've order three sets after the first for other people. It's the semi open design
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Yamaha THR </thread>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    Vox amplug lead.  It's awesome.  I love sitting down on my sofa of an evening nooding idly whilst watching TV.  Sound is tremendous and convenience perfect.  For £35 you can't go wrong. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    Vox Adio Air GT. 

I've got one, they are great...

... of course there is always the Boss Katana 50...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Vox Adio Air GT. 

I've got one, they are great...

... of course there is always the Boss Katana 50...

Too big. 

Also, whoever designed the adio air GT needs sacking. It's UGLY. But the features are about spot on. 

Jalapeno said:
    Yamaha THR </thread>

Does it do better than the vox above? I did try these a while back and was disappointed compared to the blackstar id 20 but the blackstar won't pass the living room test (can it sit next to the soundbar without being kicked out for looking bad?) 
  • Zoom g3x looks a strong contender - headphones only, but cheap enough and it has a built in audio interface which is nifty - could lose the pod interface I use atm.

However, it won't play out loud which is a pity. Is there a tiny amp I could use with it that looks attractive? I suppose my own amp may do it, and may pass the living room test, but the volume is probably a bit much... 
    If using headphones use the "Air" reverb model as it works particularly nicely to give it a bit of room space
    Yep makes the world of difference.

• Zoom G3. Excellent headphone sound, coupled with its looper and drum beats.
    Yep makes the world of difference.

Just put a wtb ad up - I'd like the g3x but could get on board with the g3 for the right price. 

Thanks for your help guys! I think headphones are the way forward. 
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    In person the Vox Adio Air GT doesn’t look too bad. Certainly better than it looks in pics. 
    Probably more expense/amp than you need for this. But worth mentioning I bought a Mk2 Blackstar HT-5 last week and the headphone output is the best I've ever heard from a "proper" amplifier. Sounds really lovely, in part because the excellent reverb outputs in stereo from the headphone out. Sounds much more "in the room" than other headphone outputs I've heard from amps. 

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I bought a Helix Stomp because I will spend quite a bit of time under headphones in the future. I had a PocketPod and never got on with the sounds, but thankfully didn't have to use it for the past few years. Before getting the Stomp I looked into other solutions to keep it cheaper but it seems you either get significantly worse modelling quality, or fewer options, or both. The good thing about the Helix is that it sits on my desk and only requires three connections - USB, guitar, headphones. 

@ThePrettyDamned - my PocketPod is gathering dust. I advertised it for sale on here but I'm happy to let it go for the price of postage. 

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4161
    I was going to suggest the Katana 50 or THR5, but I've been well & truly beaten to it. Regarding the headphone amp options though, I have used them before into a portable speaker, which didn't sound too bad - and definitely beats wearing headphones
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)