Amp shield / screen - anyone use one?

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 860
Any experience here for gigging?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

Do you mean a Perspex screen to block some of the sound? No, no experience of that but at the last Labour club open night I was at I would have LOVED to put the drummer in a Plexiglass box! (actually, out in the car park as well. We would still have heard him!)

Dave.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    That's exactly what I mean.

Boxes for drummers is an awesome idea - let's go into business...........
    newi123 said:

Ha! To be fair it was mainly just the snare that kept hitting way over the rest of the band in the DAW I was using to record the night. He seemed to be trying to kill the fucking thing!

I am also pretty sure that a sheet of Perspex about 1by 0.5mtrs and 6mm thick would have stopped a goodly amount of the "crack" reaching the mics (co-I pair 2mtrs FOH) .

Perspex is not an ideal material, cracks easily, ESPECIALLY when you try to drill the fekker! Polycarbonate is vastly stronger but also vastly more expensive. There is a transparent plastic called "PEEK" I understand about 1/2 way for strength and cost?

But then, do we really need to SEE drummers? !!

Dave.

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    newi123 said:

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Ooops! Thinking of "PET" But 6mm Polycarbonate isn't quite as expensive as I thought? 1220mm x 610mm about fifty quid. Not that bad when you consider it will last for years, will stop a beer can or bottle, even a bullet probably!

Dave.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

PEEK is expensive.

It very chemically inert and solvent resistant, so is often used in chemically aggressive environments (cue comments about drummers and personal hygiene)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    I made one from 6mm perspex/acrylic sheet based on the Clearsonic ones. Mine is a 4 section so it forms a W in front of the cab. I have heard that the cheaper versions that are 3 sided U can suffer from reflections that cause audio/tone problems. I modelled mine on Matt Schofields one as he has dog ears and if he thinks they sound good then they do.

I got the acrylic online at place that does cut to size. You can buy the clearsound hinge material on its own from Thomann or Studio Spares, its a 1.6m length. You will need to route a small v-groove to get it to lock into place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    hywelg said:
    I made one from 6mm perspex/acrylic sheet based on the Clearsonic ones. Mine is a 4 section so it forms a W in front of the cab. I have heard that the cheaper versions that are 3 sided U can suffer from reflections that cause audio/tone problems. I modelled mine on Matt Schofields one as he has dog ears and if he thinks they sound good then they do.

I got the acrylic online at place that does cut to size. You can buy the clearsound hinge material on its own from Thomann or Studio Spares, its a 1.6m length. You will need to route a small v-groove to get it to lock into place.
    Cheers - And how do you find using it? Does it do the job you expected? 
    For live volumes it helps disperse the sound and for jamming in a studio it means no one gets in the line of fire. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    As well as the screens there is the Doughnut for sound dispersion.

Yes they work too, Got them in most of my cabinets.