Cranked Marshall tones without cranking a Marshall?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Emiel said:
    photek said:
    mrkb said:
    Rich used silver jubilees as well as fenders 
    He did but the tone in Sting me has way too much sag and squish to be a Jube

Sting Me is a Fender Tweed (Twin) through a Marshall cab I think. 

Live he went from Silver Jubilees to Matchless to Harry Joyce (Hiwatt-like) to Reason to Vox AC30... generally a bright English style amp with a fast attack set to a slight crunch and then he uses a boost for more drive.

I am Rich in a Crowes tribute band. I try to have a thick all frequency tone, the lead guitarist a more mid focused tone. That seems to work well together.

I will actually be trying my Harvard clone (the smallest tweed with fixed bias) through a cab with Greenbacks next week
    Thanks for that info. Do you ever play in the UK? Let us know if you’re ever over here, I’d like to hear live Crowes music again.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 173
    edited June 2019
    The lead guitarist (varies depending on year and album) had a more Marshall tone. Think one I saw used a JMP1 rack preamp. The Reason is a EL34 amp and he mixed it with a HW AC30 in Glasgow when I saw them a few years back with a few pedals in the mix. There is a good Rigrundown on Youtube for his gear here 

.......but as others have said, for years it was a wall of Harry Joyce 'Hiwatts' at blistering volumes apparently!
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    mrkb said:
    Emiel said:
    photek said:
    mrkb said:
    Rich used silver jubilees as well as fenders 
    He did but the tone in Sting me has way too much sag and squish to be a Jube

Sting Me is a Fender Tweed (Twin) through a Marshall cab I think. 

Live he went from Silver Jubilees to Matchless to Harry Joyce (Hiwatt-like) to Reason to Vox AC30... generally a bright English style amp with a fast attack set to a slight crunch and then he uses a boost for more drive.

I am Rich in a Crowes tribute band. I try to have a thick all frequency tone, the lead guitarist a more mid focused tone. That seems to work well together.

I will actually be trying my Harvard clone (the smallest tweed with fixed bias) through a cab with Greenbacks next week
    Thanks for that info. Do you ever play in the UK? Let us know if you’re ever over here, I’d like to hear live Crowes music again.
    I wish! We just had our first gig.

Wait for it, there are rumours of a possible Crowes reunion...

Oh yeah, don’t forget Rich mostly plays in open tunings and often uses a semi-hollow body. That contributes to the big and wide tone.
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 173
    shows it again
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    Xotic SL Drive does the Marshall thing for me. I prefer it in the Super Bass mode.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3366
    So guys, to get where I want to be, and to not have to crank my amps to the point of neighbor frightening, I am probably looking at pedals? ICBM recommended a Rat into my Deuce a while back for a nice barking tone akin to Skynyrds Gimme Three Steps which I know isn't like the Black Crowes tone but anywhere in that ball park would get me happy I reckon.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    tonnes of miab pedals  out there should get you in ball park - The Bogner La Grange is one of the more versatile imho and will give subtle levels of gain ... 
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 212
    robgilmo said:
    So guys, to get where I want to be, and to not have to crank my amps to the point of neighbor frightening, I am probably looking at pedals? ICBM recommended a Rat into my Deuce a while back for a nice barking tone akin to Skynyrds Gimme Three Steps which I know isn't like the Black Crowes tone but anywhere in that ball park would get me happy I reckon.
    Do your amps have pre amp gain? Ideally I would set them at a slight crunch, then use an all frequency boost for more gain. I use a Red Llama like Ricb, cheap secondhand but a great pedal!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15928
    There's a GREAT 4010 in the classifies i'm told  ;)
    tae be or not tae be
    Emiel said:
    robgilmo said:
    Do your amps have pre amp gain? Ideally I would set them at a slight crunch, then use an all frequency boost for more gain. I use a Red Llama like Ricb, cheap secondhand but a great pedal!
    My Peavey has pre and post on both channels but no master volume, driving the pre almost gets me there but it gets loud, unless I have the post gain up a bit it sounds muddy. I need a Red Llama in my life!
    hootsmon said:
    There's a GREAT 4010 in the classifies i'm told  ;)
    I did notice that, a few times.

• supessupes Frets: 179
    Only seen them once, they did have other amps but there was a wall of Jubilee’s. Is one of the new Jubilee mini’s not an option?
  • supessupes Frets: 179
    Should have also said - i gig the full size Silver Jubilee and it can nail the sound in the video. Its far more versatile than it gets credit for. I thought a lot of early Black Crowes was Jubilee.