Fender DRRI - v1 12AX7 noisy. Can I swap it with v5? Or just get a new one?

PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
v1 is throwing a hissy fit (hiss, white noise). Can I be a tightwad and swap it with v5 as I don't use the amp's vibrato (aka tremolo)? Or just throw it out and pop in a new one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

IC will know for sure but I have read that some Fenders will cook the load resistors with anything other than an 83.

Then "front end" valves can be tricky to select for lowest hiss, hum and microphony. I used to find maybe ten in a tray of 50 that I thought good enough for the front ends of the Artisans (but then I am a fussy old hi fi git!)

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Yes, swap it with V5. They're both 12AX7s and Fender won't have selected them in any way, it's pure pot luck as to whether any or which of them are noisy.

Even if you do use the tremolo the noisy valve will almost certainly work fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Cheers, @ICBM, appreciate your advice as always. :-)