wedding dance floor fillers

What's Hot
bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
Have been asked to play 30-40 mins at my brothers wedding in November and I'm looking for some song recommendations.
Need to make a bit of an effort with this one and not just roll out our usual set of  rock and indy covers.

If you got any guaranteed dance floor fillers please let me know.
We are a three piece (guitar,bass and drums) .

Any help much appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited May 2014
    Sex on Fire, Mustang Sally, 500 Miles, Summer of '69 and all that stuff everyone on here in a covers band loves to play ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Sex on Fire, Mustang Sally, 500 Miles, Summer of '69 and all that stuff everyone on here in a covers band loves to play ;-)
    Its a sad state of affairs when the only song on that list that I don't hate is Summer of '69!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

They're the biggest dance floor fillers in our "party set". I actually love playing them all, it's not about playing "cool" stuff, it's about getting people up and dancing, and they all work.

Town Called Mallice goes down great as well, and Monkey Man (Specials not Stones) is great round here (near Coventry so it's the water)

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    We did a 50th a few weeks ago - I asked the DJ (40+ year career) what his best floor filler ever was. I went behind the decks later and he said "watch this"... he played "Young hearts run free" by Candi Staton and 80% of the punters came to dance. Like a magic wand for women it was. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I went to a wedding recently but I have tried to erase the music from my memory. Oh yes, Brown Eyed Girl, Fill Me Up Buttercup ( have I got that right?)  - not a song I would choose all night. TBH we didn't have any music at my wedding and it was better that way! But if we did then anything by Seth Lakeman for MrsTheWeary and SIlver Machine five times in a row for me.

I'm no help am I ... 
    :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26942
    I went to a wedding recently but I have tried to erase the music from my memory. Oh yes, Brown Eyed Girl, Fill Me Up Buttercup ( have I got that right?)  - not a song I would choose all night. TBH we didn't have any music at my wedding and it was better that way! But if we did then anything by Seth Lakeman for MrsTheWeary and SIlver Machine five times in a row for me.

I'm no help am I ... 
    I think it's "Build" but either way it's the worst song in the entire world. The only thing I'd ever veto for personal taste reasons.

I am another who highly enjoys all the obvious ones (don't forget Mr Brightside...!) The point when you play the first "big" song in the set is brilliant - I've never seen a room you can't turn around with Chelsea Dagger, provided drinks are flowing at least!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

I'm no help am I ... 
    No  ;)
    Chelsea Dagger has been on my to do list for a while.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    Jet - Are you gonna be my girl?

I'm no help am I ... 
    I think it's "Build" but either way it's the worst song in the entire world. The only thing I'd ever veto for personal taste reasons.

I am another who highly enjoys all the obvious ones (don't forget Mr Brightside...!) The point when you play the first "big" song in the set is brilliant - I've never seen a room you can't turn around with Chelsea Dagger, provided drinks are flowing at least!!
    ahh, Build, that's right. Makes more sense. It was the one song almost every one got up for though ( including me...the shame...). My youngest son's class went to a recording studio and I have a cd somewhere with that song sung by 9 year olds on it.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    Long train running,
    Superstition

All the corny stuff, you're not there to get your rocks off you're there for them!
    It's just another gig to you but the Brides special day her dad has spent his savings on.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401

Here's some are tried and tested dancey \ good wedding \ corporate material, as in played em for years and always go down well

Superstition - Stevie
    Long Train Running - Doobies
    Chelsea Dagger - Fratellis
    Mr Brightside - Killers
    Parklife - Blur
    Love Shack - B52's
    Sex on Fire -KOL
    Love Man - Otis Reading
    Johnny B Goode - Chuck Berry
    Saw her standing there - Beatles
    Moves like Jagger  - Maroon 5
    Locked out of Heaven - Bruno Mars
    Do you think I'm sexy - Rod Stewart
    Dekota - Stereophonics
    No Diggity - Backstreet
    Kiss - Tom Jones - Art of Noise
    Place your hands  -  Reef
    Jump  - Van Halen

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Here's my shortlist for ya.

Get Lucky - Daft Punk
    Shackles - Mary Mary
    Happy - Pharrell Williams
    Treasure - Bruno Mars
    Runaway Baby - Bruno Mars
    Play That Funky Music - Whoever did that one!

All of em really easy and only 3 or 4 chords each.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10401

Forget you - Ceelo Green, that's a good un 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Nobody's mentioned "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor"? Fair enough.

+1 for Parklife; that even gets ME dancing. 

Seems to me that if I were doing this, I would find out what scene and musical generation the bride and groom hail from... maybe even find out favourite bands on the sly... just so I could have one or two knockout tracks for them that aren't the usual suspects that I could bring out like BOOM! Didn't see that coming!
    EdGrip said:

Seems to me that if I were doing this, I would find out what scene and musical generation the bride and groom hail from... maybe even find out favourite bands on the sly... just so I could have one or two knockout tracks for them that aren't the usual suspects that I could bring out like BOOM! Didn't see that coming!
    The Grooms my Brother and our bass player , although not on this occasion! Will be getting some info on my future sister in-law to see what she likes. 

Some great selections , just need to see which ones we can play after a few pints!

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Well, I'm mighty surprised there are no votes for "Smack my bitch up" by the Prodigy. :-\"
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

The Mavericks - Dance The Night Away  always used to go down well
    Simply the best - Tina Tuner.
    The Time Of Life - from Dirty Dancing.

I used to play a lot of big-money weddings and these in particular always used to go down well... although I hated playing them.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited May 2014
    ESBlonde said:
    Long train running,
    Superstition

All the corny stuff, you're not there to get your rocks off you're there for them!
    It's just another gig to you but the Brides special day her dad has spent his savings on.

I'm with Eric, wedding bands (and gigs) are a total turn off.  The taste of the general public has ever been a conundrum for me.  Sometimes wonder why mine is so different, but "It's a Mystewy"

The good news is my wife is paying for my daughter's wedding...
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    ESBlonde said:
    Long train running,
    Superstition

I'm with Eric, wedding bands (and gigs) are a total turn off.  The taste of the general public has ever been a conundrum for me.  Sometimes wonder why mine is so different, but "It's a Mystewy"

I wouldn't consider myself a musical snob at all and I have no objection to a bit of trashy pop but its the relentlesness of it.